MudPhud20XX

5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I was reviewing Kaplan neuro and it explains that in caudal neuropore defect, alpha-fetoprotein is normal b/c the caudal end of the spinal cord plays no role in swallowing reflex, whereas there is an increase in alpha-fetoprotein in anencephaly which leads to no swallowing reflex. This all make sense, but can anyone explain how a fetus removes amniotic fluid by swallowing? I mean do they drink the amniotic fluid and pee out? Just out of curiosity how this works. Many thanks in advance.

ChessMaster3000

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
I was reviewing Kaplan neuro and it explains that in caudal neuropore defect, alpha-fetoprotein is normal b/c the caudal end of the spinal cord plays no role in swallowing reflex, whereas there is an increase in alpha-fetoprotein in anencephaly which leads to no swallowing reflex. This all make sense, but can anyone explain how a fetus removes amniotic fluid by swallowing? I mean do they drink the amniotic fluid and pee out? Just out of curiosity how this works. Many thanks in advance.
yep, that's right. also some of that amniotic fluid goes down the trachea and helps expand the lungs. thats why fetuses with renal agenesis have hypoplastic lungs and are incompativel with life

ulikedaggers

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Jul 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Yup, and that explains why fetal duodenal atresia leads to polyhydramnios.

Edit: And by duodenal atresia, I meant esophageal atresia.. though duodenal atresia might cause polyhydramnios too.

Last edited: