ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would anyone who attends PONCE or UCC , or who has been accepted share their stats with us in attempt to encourage/discourage us. I have heard that PONCE is extremely competitive for US students. Is that true?

Here are my #'s
(according to AMCAS)
overall GPA: 3.44
I screwed up my first semester as a freshman (although there were no F's), but retook all my classes and got all A's after I returned from my mission(funny what 2yrs in a 3rd world country will do). My transcript shows a 3.65
BCPM GPA: 3.54
AO: 3.33
MCAT: 26M --> weak!! I know

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer
-1.5 yrs working as a PCT (Patient Care Tech) --> I'm basicially a glorified CNA, the only difference is I also do Phlebotomy, so they give me a much cooler title.
- At the tender age of 19 I traveled to Bolivia for 2 yrs as a missionary (2001-2003) It was awesome by the way!!! included religious proselyting and lots of community service. Completely fluent in Spanish and I speak Aymara too (an Indian dialect form Bolivia, not gonna help in PR though)
- 2005 American Heart Association Summer Undergraduate Internship Awardee
(Cardio Research w/ pacemakers, and pacemaker protocols, it was in collaboration w/ Guidant corp. (i.e. the bigtime!) about 600hrs total --> I also co-authored a paper. (PUBLISHED)
- Lots of other community service (i.e. Homes for humanity, Peer tutoring for underclassmen/disadvantaged high school students. and more) ~100+ hrs
- Organic Chemistry Lab Instructor - 4 hrs/wk since April
- Vice President of Pre-Med club at my school.
-Shadowing MD & DO ~50+ hrs
- There's more but I won't bore you to death...

Other Info:
- I am the very first among my family, both immediate and extended (i.e granparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, the whole shoot and match) to pursue a post-secondary degree, hence I'll be the the first to grduate college and pursue a profesional degree.
- I'm a pretty nice guy too!

I'm applying early to Ponce and UCC. I called and they said they would send me a letter asking for my $ and the necesary docments with in the nest couple of weeks.

Do I have a chance?

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ScootDoc said:
Would anyone who attends PONCE or UCC , or who has been accepted share their stats with us in attempt to encourage/discourage us. I have heard that PONCE is extremely competitive for US students. Is that true?

Here are my #'s
(according to AMCAS)
overall GPA: 3.44
I screwed up my first semester as a freshman (although there were no F's), but retook all my classes and got all A's after I returned from my mission(funny what 2yrs in a 3rd world country will do). My transcript shows a 3.65
BCPM GPA: 3.54
AO: 3.33
MCAT: 26M --> weak!! I know

Extracurricular:
-200+ hrs ER volunteer
-1.5 yrs working as a PCT (Patient Care Tech) --> I'm basicially a glorified CNA, the only difference is I also do Phlebotomy, so they give me a much cooler title.
- At the tender age of 19 I traveled to Bolivia for 2 yrs as a missionary (2001-2003) It was awesome by the way!!! included religious proselyting and lots of community service. Completely fluent in Spanish and I speak Aymara too (an Indian dialect form Bolivia, not gonna help in PR though)
- 2005 American Heart Association Summer Undergraduate Internship Awardee
(Cardio Research w/ pacemakers, and pacemaker protocols, it was in collaboration w/ Guidant corp. (i.e. the bigtime!) about 600hrs total --> I also co-authored a paper. (PUBLISHED)
- Lots of other community service (i.e. Homes for humanity, Peer tutoring for underclassmen/disadvantaged high school students. and more) ~100+ hrs
- Organic Chemistry Lab Instructor - 4 hrs/wk since April
- Vice President of Pre-Med club at my school.
-Shadowing MD & DO ~50+ hrs
- There's more but I won't bore you to death...

Other Info:
- I am the very first among my family, both immediate and extended (i.e granparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, sisters, the whole shoot and match) to pursue a post-secondary degree, hence I'll be the the first to grduate college and pursue a profesional degree.
- I'm a pretty nice guy too!

I'm applying early to Ponce and UCC. I called and they said they would send me a letter asking for my $ and the necesary docments with in the nest couple of weeks.

Do I have a chance?
I graduated from the University of Puerto Rico and I think you have a great chance at Ponce. Show your charm during the interview and good luck!

OP
S

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
JA_Perez said:
I graduated from the University of Puerto Rico and I think you have a great chance at Ponce. Show your charm during the interview and good luck!
Thanks man!

About the Ads
OP
S

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I recieved a letter from them asking for my LORs, $$$, Police Report, & Transcripts. I got the letteron Monday 8/7, and I sent them off today. 1 day turn over..... am I excited? YOU BET!!!!! :D :D :D :thumbup:

bkpa2med

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Have you considered DO?

OP
S

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bkpa2med said:
Have you considered DO?
Yes. I actually interview at COMP on Aug 24. I applied to AZCOM, PCOM, KCOM, OSUCOM, MSUCOM, COMP, DMUCOM, and then I applied to some MD schools also, but I don't expect much response from the MDs. My MCAT stinks. However, because I do speak spanish, and I do have some really good ECs I thought I would give PONCE and UCC a shot. Now I really want to get into PONCE. I have heard nothing but good things about PONCE. I wonder when they'll start interviewing. Anybody know? I hope that since my app is in early they will give it a good look. However, I bet a lot will depend on the (potential) interview.

OP
S

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I actually agree more with the DO philosophy, but I don't want to have to mess with mess with the stigma while applying to specialty residencies. But, anyway enough of that, we don't need to open up another can of worms....

JA_Perez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
ScootDoc said:
I actually agree more with the DO philosophy, but I don't want to have to mess with mess with the stigma while applying to specialty residencies. But, anyway enough of that, we don't need to open up another can of worms....
I am sure that Ponce is a better option than going DO. I have tons of DO friends in the military and they are as good as MD's. But you'll feel the disadvantage once you try to compete for residencies with the MD's. Go to Ponce, study hard, ace your USMLE’s and you will end up competing for residencies like any other MD form mainland USA. Plus, polishing your Spanish is a big plus for places like NY, CA, FL, etc. Good luck!!! :thumbup:

OP
S

ScootDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
JA_Perez said:
I am sure that Ponce is a better option than going DO. I have tons of DO friends in the military and they are as good as MD's. But you'll feel the disadvantage once you try to compete for residencies with the MD's. Go to Ponce, study hard, ace your USMLE’s and you will end up competing for residencies like any other MD form mainland USA. Plus, polishing your Spanish is a big plus for places like NY, CA, FL, etc. Good luck!!! :thumbup:
I agree 100%. I want PONCE so so bad. Do you know how long it usually takes for them to start invites? I hope they do soon!!!

Cachito

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2006
Ponce es Ponce. Lo demas es parking!
Status
Medical Student
I am a first year at PSM and I am loving it so far. It is a lot of work, but everyone in my class is cool and everyone seems to be very collaborative. It's a "us against the world" mentality here and I find that to be a major plus... especially when block/shelf exams come up. If you have more specific questions about PSM, send me a message.
good luck

About the Ads