Pondering a career change. Please advise a newcomer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WOW!! I GET CRUCIFIED BY SOME OF YOU FOR INQUIRING ABOUT DIFFERENT CAREERS, AND FOR POSTING ON SEVERAL FORUMS! ONLY WAY TO REALLY KNOW IS TO SHADOW. I'M DUMBFOUND ON HOW PESSIMISTIC AND NEGATIVE SOME OF YOU "HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS" ARE.

PASSION? SHIZNIKS. I'VE MET TONS OF *****S IN HEALTHCARE WHO DO IT FOR THE $$$$. WHO'S REALLY GOING TO WORK FOR FREE?! NOBODY! I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DO, MD, DDS, RPH, OT, PT, ETC....PROVIDE PRO BONO SERVICES TO THE HOMELESS THAT LIVE UNDER THE BRIDGES IN CHICAGO. PASSION?? PRINCESS DIANA HAD PASSION! MOTHER TERESA HAD PASSION!! THESE WERE THE GOD SENDS TO HUMANITY. A TRUE DEFINITION OF PASSION.

BUT SOME OF YOU WANT TO PUT ME THROUGH YOUR OWN TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS?!? I'M NEVER AGAIN COMING TO SUCH A HOSTILE AND NARCISTIC PLACE AGAIN!

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ENCOURAGED AND GAVE A POSITIVE REPLY, I THANK YOU IMMENSELY!!! LIFE HAS KICKED ME DOWN, BUT I'LL GET BACK UP IN 2018!

SIGNING OFF!

Members don't see this ad.

WOW!! I GET CRUCIFIED BY SOME OF YOU FOR INQUIRING ABOUT DIFFERENT CAREERS, AND FOR POSTING ON SEVERAL FORUMS! ONLY WAY TO REALLY KNOW IS TO SHADOW. I'M DUMBFOUND ON HOW PESSIMISTIC AND NEGATIVE SOME OF YOU "HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS" ARE.

PASSION? SHIZNIKS. I'VE MET TONS OF *****S IN HEALTHCARE WHO DO IT FOR THE $$$$. WHO'S REALLY GOING TO WORK FOR FREE?! NOBODY! I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DO, MD, DDS, RPH, OT, PT, ETC....PROVIDE PRO BONO SERVICES TO THE HOMELESS THAT LIVE UNDER THE BRIDGES IN CHICAGO. PASSION?? PRINCESS DIANA HAD PASSION! MOTHER TERESA HAD PASSION!! THESE WERE THE GOD SENDS TO HUMANITY. A TRUE DEFINITION OF PASSION.

BUT SOME OF YOU WANT TO PUT ME THROUGH YOUR OWN TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS?!? I'M NEVER AGAIN COMING TO SUCH A HOSTILE AND NARCISTIC PLACE AGAIN!

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ENCOURAGED AND GAVE A POSITIVE REPLY, I THANK YOU IMMENSELY!!! LIFE HAS KICKED ME DOWN, BUT I'LL GET BACK UP IN 2018!

SIGNING OFF!

Can't tell whats worse in your post...the content or the inadequate use of the caps lock button.

but there are definitely some podiatric residencies that require as much commitment as surgical residencies.

5 years with 100+ hours? No one is really logging 80 hours in MD surgical residences (they lie or they are gone), but I very much doubt that there are pods doing more than 80 on a regular basis for 5 years.

My wife's partner is a podiatrist, when I read this thread, I thought that he would probably get a chuckle. There's a good reason he was aiming for dentistry or podiatry, and part of his decision was NOT enduring a medical residency, he freely admits that. Heck, I do too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
5 years with 100+ hours? No one is really logging 80 hours in MD surgical residences (they lie or they are gone), but I very much doubt that there are pods doing more than 80 on a regular basis for 5 years.

My wife's partner is a podiatrist, when I read this thread, I thought that he would probably get a chuckle. There's a good reason he was aiming for dentistry or podiatry, and part of his decision was NOT enduring a medical residency, he freely admits that. Heck, I do too.
Comparing averages, youre right. It isnt comparable. However, there are a few high powered residencies like Swedish, Kaiser, and John Peter Smith where residents do log up to 80 hours a week their first year and sacrifice as much. Its not the norm, but hopefully people realize that it does happen

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users