Poor gpa -> CC Postbacc -> foreign masters -> what next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

marinermed

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My future application is rocking some pretty hardcore non-trad vibes and I could use some advice on what to do. My undergrad career was pretty rough between health issues and working. I graduated five years ago with a 2.9x and a massive pile of credits (mostly bcpm sadly) from nearly 6 years of switching majors and not knowing what I was doing. I went through cycles of getting A’s some semesters and C’s (the occasional F) others. In short, my GPA trend is inconsistent throughout.

Immediately after graduating I snapped out of my immaturity. I spent a year volunteering in research, working in research, and taking math/science courses (40 credits) at a community college that offers bachelors degrees (so I have a couple upper division classes as well) in order to prepare myself for a biostats masters. In that time I got my grades up to a 3.2 cum GPA 3.1 sGPA. After that I immediately went abroad, learned another language, and eventually got a masters abroad. I’m about to turn 31 so I want to expedite as much as possible the process to gain acceptance anywhere. My first thought is to enroll in a bunch of upper division courses but after a year of study I would only move my GPA up to a 3.3 cGPA 3.2 sGPA assuming I 4.0 everything (I think an A- average is more realistic). An SMP is an option but I’m a Washingtonian and there aren’t many options if I stay on this side of the country as I’d like to. Additionally I’m concerned about extracurriculars. The past 4 years they’ve exclusively been foreign coursework and research however, I was a CNA for 7 years before and after college so I have a ton of exposure. My questions boil down to SMP or Postbacc? Can I skate by with basic hospital volunteering and shadowing given my background?