Nov 22, 2013
I scored very low on my Step 1 (201) and fairly better on 2 (237). I have applied to about 60 schools all over for Anesthesia and only gotten 2 interviews so far. What are my chances of matching? I am panicking because I know Anesthesia has become very competitive so now should I apply for some other program instead?

Nov 16, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm surprised that your step 2 score didn't get you some more interviews. Maybe something else at play? -- When did you apply? (I've seen that most people who got the most interviews applied in the first week the ERAS was open) Are you a US grad? Did you apply only to top university programs or did you add community programs to your list?

kazuma

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately most programs use various filters when downloading eras apps. It might be worth calling programs as some programs might not have even seen you app due to a step 1 filter.

Sonny Crocket

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Unfortunately most programs use various filters when downloading eras apps. It might be worth calling programs as some programs might not have even seen you app due to a step 1 filter.
When I was a resident our program used a filter like this. Otherwise we had to go through way too many applications. Weak applicants on paper(and I'm not saying you are weak) might want to do an elective at a program that is not regarded at top notch. I've seen this strategy work well.

Ronin786

7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Sorry, just realized this is the wrong thread.

Last edited:

IkeBoy18

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I scored very low on my Step 1 (201) and fairly better on 2 (237). I have applied to about 60 schools all over for Anesthesia and only gotten 2 interviews so far. What are my chances of matching? I am panicking because I know Anesthesia has become very competitive so now should I apply for some other program instead?
Theres gotta be some other red flag here. I have a friend who had <200 and applied to 30 places and got 15 interviews and matched at a pretty decent place.

saratoga733

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2007
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician
if i had to guess OP is not an US grad

FFP

Wiseguy
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
OP
E
Nov 22, 2013
I am a U.S grad.. currently in my fourth year of medical school in FL. The low step score is the only downer on my app - I have plenty of research/publications to my credit but still not enough interviews. I have applied to a variety of programs all across the country. Considering it is almost December, do I have any chances of scoring more interviews before March? I applied mid-September as I had to wait for my Step 2 scores to come in.

step213

5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2013
I am a U.S grad.. currently in my fourth year of medical school in FL. The low step score is the only downer on my app - I have plenty of research/publications to my credit but still not enough interviews. I have applied to a variety of programs all across the country. Considering it is almost December, do I have any chances of scoring more interviews before March? I applied mid-September as I had to wait for my Step 2 scores to come in.
ERAS opened mid-Sept... do you mean late as in you submitted a week after or perhaps two?

What could probably be killing your app is a late application even more so then your step 1. I applied to one program 2 days in to the application season and was waitlisted, when i expressed interest in the program i was told that they were interested in me too its just that they had filled all the interview slots by the time they reviewed my application, so I can't imagine what it would have been like if I applied even later.

I would suggest you contact programs and express interest - especially programs that aren't as competitive for US grads. That way hopefully they'll pull your app from the pile they have and be able to give you an interview if they have any slots left.

OP
E
Nov 22, 2013
ERAS opened mid-Sept... do you mean late as in you submitted a week after or perhaps two?

What could probably be killing your app is a late application even more so then your step 1. I applied to one program 2 days in to the application season and was waitlisted, when i expressed interest in the program i was told that they were interested in me too its just that they had filled all the interview slots by the time they reviewed my application, so I can't imagine what it would have been like if I applied even later.

I would suggest you contact programs and express interest - especially programs that aren't as competitive for US grads. That way hopefully they'll pull your app from the pile they have and be able to give you an interview if they have any slots left.
A week after ERAS opened. Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely be calling the programs.

shift_roro

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Best bet is to kick ass at your two interviews, make a lasting impression, and stay in touch with them and let them know you will be ranking them #1 or #2. I'm assuming the two places you interviewed at are probably mid to lower tier, so a personal call out to the PD and letting them know you are seriously interested will go a long way, since they probably get ranked low as a "safety" program for many others.

You can also update them with any new publications, honors, awards, etc from now to March. Not to be a downer, but it's probably a good idea to start thinking about backup options as well.

Good luck!