Pope says he is still under the effects of anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ROME, Italy — Pope Francis said Thursday he was short of breath and still feeling the effects of anesthesia from abdominal surgery two weeks ago.

Francis made the comments to explain why he chose not to deliver a prepared speech to visiting charity workers for Eastern rite churches. Instead, the speech was handed out.

“I’m still under the effect of anesthesia,” Vatican News quoted Francis as saying. “My breathing isn’t good.”

The 86-year-old pontiff underwent three hours of surgery under general anesthesia June 7 to repair a hernia in his abdominal wall and remove intestinal scar tissue. He was discharged on June 16, with his surgeon saying he was “better than before.”

Francis has complained previously about feeling the effects of anesthesia long after surgical procedures, including after an operation in 2021 to remove 33 centimeters (13 inches) of his large intestine. He had cited that reaction in part in refusing surgery to repair strained ligaments in his knee.

Pope short of breath, says he's still feeling effects of anesthesia 2 weeks after surgery

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shortness of breath is definitely from the anesthesia.

No chance that a 3 hr ventral hernia repair (which involved cutting through an 86yo's accessory respiratory muscles) could be contributing.

Reactions: 10 users
I also like to blame anesthesia for all my problems.

“Sorry babe, I can’t do the dishes today, inhaled too much second-hand sevo at work!”

• Haha
  • Love
New headline: Surgeons successfully blame complications more than 2 weeks postop on anesthesiologist.
The I-75 bridge collapse in Atlanta a few years ago and the I-95 bridge collapse in Philly a few weeks ago were also due to anesthesia.

Reactions: 6 users
Reactions: 1 users
I once had a patient tell me her shoulder being itchy a year post op shoulder replacement was from anesthesia. Apparently that's what her surgeon told her. She of course refused to believe me wheni told her it was not from the gas. She was demanding Tiva because she didn't want itching on her chest as she was about to get a cabg.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Well, I keep hearing global climate change is due to anesthesia. As is OR waste (from anesthesia only and specifically) crowding landfills. Our hospital keeps telling us how much money they are losing because of “anesthesia labor costs”.

Well, I keep hearing global climate change is due to anesthesia. As is OR waste (from anesthesia only and specifically) crowding landfills. Our hospital keeps telling us how much money they are losing because of “anesthesia labor costs”.

Well you need anesthesia labor to get those 5-6 figure facility fees so...

• Love
Lol that reminds of the infographic showing how much the usps is costing the US and the person responding something like "That's because it's a service and services cost money. You don't complain about how much the military costs."

Reactions: 2 users
An oldie…..

IMG_9205.jpeg

14. Pope can’t talk.

Surgeon is definitely blowing him full of white smoke

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
ROME, Italy — Pope Francis said Thursday he was short of breath and still feeling the effects of anesthesia from abdominal surgery two weeks ago.

Francis made the comments to explain why he chose not to deliver a prepared speech to visiting charity workers for Eastern rite churches. Instead, the speech was handed out.

“I’m still under the effect of anesthesia,” Vatican News quoted Francis as saying. “My breathing isn’t good.”

The 86-year-old pontiff underwent three hours of surgery under general anesthesia June 7 to repair a hernia in his abdominal wall and remove intestinal scar tissue. He was discharged on June 16, with his surgeon saying he was “better than before.”

Francis has complained previously about feeling the effects of anesthesia long after surgical procedures, including after an operation in 2021 to remove 33 centimeters (13 inches) of his large intestine. He had cited that reaction in part in refusing surgery to repair strained ligaments in his knee.

Pope short of breath, says he's still feeling effects of anesthesia 2 weeks after surgery
So, now it’s official church dogma. We’re screwed.

• Haha