Popular Genes

Started by mattns
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mattns

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, so I looked around and haven't seen anything written on this. I haven't taken biochem, microbio, or genetics, and I just wrote the section bank and only scored 74% on the BB section. I'm just wondering from people who're well versed in the mcat and biological sciences: what're some popular genes I should know of?

So far i've noticed that p53, p21, and pRB, seem to be common. Does anyone have any recommendations for others that I might benefit by familiarizing myself with?
 
Don't bother with this; just know how genes work in general and you will be fine with whatever they come up with on the test.

OK, thanks for the reply. I think i've covered the subject material decently. But obviously I have a certain sense of uncertainty of what I'm missing having never taken these courses.
 
OK, thanks for the reply. I think i've covered the subject material decently. But obviously I have a certain sense of uncertainty of what I'm missing having never taken these courses.

74% on the B/B section of the Section Bank is better than you think if it's your first-time through.

Review the section bank again and see what mistakes you made - then review every question a third time.

And don't memorize any common/popular genes that's a waste of time.