SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Population Health??

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by atariari, Apr 15, 2007.

1. atariari

atariari

Apr 15, 2007
    Does anyone know anything about population health degrees? the one i am looking at is from University of Wisonsin. the thing is it is not offered through a school of public health, but rather the medical school.
    Im worried that employers would rather have someone with a public health degree and wont understand that this is pretty much the exact same program.
    Has anyone heard of this type of degree, or know anything about UWs program??

All input helps!!
    THanks
    Atariari

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AndrewJ42

AndrewJ42 Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i looked online to get a better understanding of the program you are looking at and I see that it offers either a MS or PhD. (for Population Health) but they do also offer a general MPH degree that doesn't seem to be completely focused on one of the 5 general sub-sections of the field.

if you decide to go the course of the MS in Population Health, you may come into some difficulty in obtaining a position where they are looking for an MPH candidate. That is mainly due to the fact that a MS is seen more as an academic precursor to a PhD rather than a professional degree (MPH). That being said, it's not that you can't get the same job as a MPH grad, but you will have to explain to them why your MS degree fulfills the requirements that are set forth for a MPH.

My advice would be to look into an MPH program at Wisconsin and focus on the Population Health portion of studies. It will save you the trouble of having to explain your degree to potential employers and give you a larger array of possibilities.

4. AgentSik007

AgentSik007 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2006
    New York

I second that, you don't want to make a mistake because while it's all fine and dandy to explain why you went for an MS rather than a MPH, you first need to get into an interview position to do that. This will be more difficult with an MS on your resume alone rather than an MPH. Although, it will all depend on the employment you will seek. Good luck!

5. namazu

namazu Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 17, 2005
    I agree with previous posters that the MPH degree may be more easily recognizeable to employers advertising for such.

However, I also wanted to add that Wisconsin's Population Health department has a number of very strong faculty (many of whom were previously employed at places like Columbia, Hopkins, etc.). It is a relatively small department, so there may be only a couple people working in any specific area of interest. They have excellent connections with the state health department, and are very focused on their teaching. Madison is cold in the winter, but a nice city.

6. honger540

honger540 New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The department of population health is within the medical school at the UW which has adopted a name change two years ago to the "University of Wisconsin school of Medicine and Public Health". The MPH prgram at the UW is still relatively new but is housed within the department of Population Health. A lot of the classes are the same in both programs, but the emphasis of the programs is a little different. PM me if you want more info about either of those programs at the UW.