porcelain veneer ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it considered "unethical" to veneer a perfectly good tooth for cosmetic reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

dc-10 said:
Is it considered "unethical" to veneer a perfectly good tooth for cosmetic reasons?

Is it "perfectly good" if it is not esthetic to the patient?

I would say that the answer depends on a variety of things. I have heard the argument that many of the veneers that are performed on the extreme makeover shows are unethical, because of the radical preparation that is needed to obtain align the teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)
if it's what the patient wants, why in the world would it be considered unethical???

i have a problem w/people selling veneers as an alternative to ortho - yes its quicker, but damn that is a lot of dentin and enamel to condemn. and how many times will a young person w/veneers need them redone, with more and more dentin ground away each time? - patients must be informed about this and i have seen too many docs skim over this fact.

it'd be inappropriate to recommend veneers without informing the patient of other treatment options, but that'd be true for any other procedure. If the patient was informed and chose porcelain veneers(for quick results, financial reasons etc) then i don't see anything wrong

NVDental said:
I would say that the answer depends on a variety of things. I have heard the argument that many of the veneers that are performed on the extreme makeover shows are unethical, because of the radical preparation that is needed to obtain align the teeth.

May I ask what is going on with the veneers in these makeover shows? Just from a superficial, "looks" point of view, these teeth look too big in the women's mouth...They look strange and unnatural -- the women can't even close their newly fattened lips over them.

I'm just a lowly predent and haven't worked with veneers, but should I be impressed with these results? Is that good dentistry?

Sorry for the vague, open-ended question...

veneers is definitely not an option for a young patient as the tooth preparation is a dentist makes is irreversible and the longivity of the veneer is not good. Veneers have gained popularity as it yields a quick result but then if the patient insists on having it therez no other way out I guess.

sreshta said:
veneers is definitely not an option for a young patient as the tooth preparation is a dentist makes is irreversible and the longivity of the veneer is not good. Veneers have gained popularity as it yields a quick result but then if the patient insists on having it therez no other way out I guess.
No way out? How about not doing the procedure?

Is it "unethical" to give a woman larger boobs even if her boobs are great already? NO. Inform the patient and then give them what they want as long as you can have a predictable outcome.

aphistis said:
No way out? How about not doing the procedure?

Veneers are not contraindicated in a patient due to age....Laminate veneers if done correctly can last 10 years with proper care....0.3-0.5mm tooth prep on the facial with a window prep leaving the incisal edge untouched is a reasonable solution to make someone gain self confidence about their smile
:D

drat said:
May I ask what is going on with the veneers in these makeover shows? Just from a superficial, "looks" point of view, these teeth look too big in the women's mouth...They look strange and unnatural -- the women can't even close their newly fattened lips over them.

I'm just a lowly predent and haven't worked with veneers, but should I be impressed with these results? Is that good dentistry?

Sorry for the vague, open-ended question...

It's not always good dentistry. They don't always show the dental work and results too long to make a really good judgement call, but sometimes it seems like the better option would have been to send the patient to get ortho to fix the serious cases of snaggle tooth some of those people have. However, to go through ortho is a 2 year ordeal which doesn't fit into the 6 month production schedule for a makeover show. So extreme prosthodontics is the only other option to make them look good in time for the show.