Portland market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

po' boy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the different shops in Portland, specifically Adventist (CEP), Tuality Community (TeamHealth) and Kaiser? I am curious if anyone has experience working at any of these three places and what it was like. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on the different shops in Portland, specifically Adventist (CEP), Tuality Community (TeamHealth) and Kaiser? I am curious if anyone has experience working at any of these three places and what it was like. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

I'm not in EM but am in Portland and have plenty of friends in EM here. This market is TIGHT. For the same reason that markets in places like CO and UT are tight. EM attracts the kind of people that this area attracts and they tend not to leave. I know a number of well qualified recent grads who are stringing together 2 or 3 PT gigs just so they can stay here. I'm not saying the market is closed, just really tight.

As for the groups you mentioned, I know two people who just took jobs @ Tuality, one FT and one PT (also working PT @ OHSU) and they seem pretty happy. My only other comment is that their Hem/Onc coverage must be crap because I constantly get consult calls from that ED because nobody in their pool is answering pages.

I know a bunch of people at Kaiser and they all seem to love it. It's not the place to go if you want to make fat bank (being salaried and all, although I don't think anybody's going hungry over there). They have Urgent Care open until ~10 every night to take some pressure off and the ED has admitting privileges so dispo isn't a problem...you want to admit, the Hospitalist has to bend over and take it (which is one of the reasons I quit moonlighting there as a Hospitalist).

FWIW kaiser is in the process of closing or severely limiting hrs in all of their pacific nw urgent cares so that pressure relief will go away...and kaiser doesn't use a fast track system at all so the ed docs see everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the comments and the PMs so far. anyone else?

I called around and sent resumes to most of the shops in town a year or so ago, including a couple at which I had residency-mates in the group. None were hiring. Period. Or at least that's what they told me. The recommendation was "move to town and work prn for a while and we'll see if we like you."

But I have a family to support. And I wasn't that set on Portland. So I moved on to greener pastures. It was a similar picture in Anchorage, Salt Lake, Denver, and Flagstaff BTW. I found 4 groups hiring total in all 5 cities. Only one was hiring for more than one spot.