Portland, OR programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kate D

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Providence Portland Medical Center vs. Providence St. Vincent's vs Emmanuel Legacy?
Do any of them have a better or worse reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

Ranking of PDX area IM residency programs OHSU>Providence>Legacy-Emanuel>St. Vincents >>>>> SW Washington. OHSU and Emanuel are the two biggest IM programs in Portland. OHSU is strictly speaking the only academic program although all the programs do send people to fellowhships. Providence is a smallish program and their residents do some rotations as senior levels at OHSU/VA and likewise senior level OHSU residents do rotate at Providence occasionally. Legacy Emanuel residents rotate at two hospitals, Emanuel and Good Samaritan. They have a third hospital and I do not know if the IM residents rotate there and the system is builiding another hospital across the river in Vancouver, WA that will be part of the program.

In my third year I did part of my IM rotation at Good Sam. I liked the teaching attendings/hospitalists. The residents had a broader range of ability than say OHSU but my senior resident was very, very good. I have not heard anything bad about any of the programs and I have enjoyed my time at OHSU.

Hands down, the best hospital for training in the city of Portland is Emanuel hospital. OHSU has a big name...why? Research...clinically it can be shocking what you will see and possibly learn by default....Emanuel has a strong reputation...great attendings...(across the specialties) much much stronger ICU nurses...and thus upper level resident teaching....the other two hospitals you listed are very cozy, and have a variety of good teaching...Im going into surgery....my s.o. into IM, but hands down...Emanuel is the best.....one humble opinion....not just schooled, born and raised in Portland...so many years to strain info from medical, media and private sector sources....but then again. PDX is a phenomenal city...well kept secret..you truly couldnt go wrong... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
PedserPan said:
Hands down, the best hospital for training in the city of Portland is Emanuel hospital. OHSU has a big name...why? Research...clinically it can be shocking what you will see and possibly learn by default :wow: ....Emanuel has a strong reputation...great attendings...(across the specialties) much much stronger ICU nurses...and thus upper level resident teaching....the other two hospitals you listed are very cozy, and have a variety of good teaching...Im going into surgery....my s.o. into IM, but hands down...Emanuel is the best.....one humble opinion....not just schooled, born and raised in Portland...so many years to strain info from medical, media and private sector sources....but then again. PDX is a phenomenal city...well kept secret..you truly couldnt go wrong... :)
+pissed+

Well all surgical residents at Legacy-Emanuel are OHSU. With the exception of IM all residencies in PDX are OHSU. SW Washington does have an FP program and Legacy-Emanuel and both Providence hospitals have IM programs. I've rotated through Good Sam (a Legacy-Emanuel hosptial). The IM residents rotate at both Good Sam and Emanuel. The MICU at Emanuel is open, not a closed ICU. Personally being on call for the wards and admitting to the MICU sounds like a drag. Legacy-Emanuel only just started hiring intensivists for their Good Sam site last year. The ICU nurses I have worked with at OHSU and at the VA were the equals of the ICU nurses I worked with at Hopkins. These are men and women that I respect greatly, and they deserve better than to get smack talked about on the internet by some wanna be knife-boy. That kind of behavior is just ignorant. The ICU nurses at Good Sam were very good too.

Their are many good things about the Legacy system, one of the is Dr. Jones the Chief of medicine at both hospitals. A true gentleman, humanist, and physician. The hospitalist / teaching attendings at Good Sam are very good. I have never worked at Emanuel but I have heard that have trouble retaining staff for their ED. This last year the trauma practice at Emanuel went on strike, shutting down one of the two level 1 trauma centers in Oregon. Fortunately the other level 1 trauma -- OHSU -- did not shut down.

PedserPan if you plan on coming back to PDX for surgical residency you had better be prepaired to rotate at OHSU because you will. You will also rotate at Emanuel, Good Sam, and St. V's. And if I knew who you were I would be sure to give your name to some of the surgeons I know and share your opinion of OHSU. They like it here at OHSU. I may be a Flea -- but remember Fleas bite.

Now that I have gotten that off my chest, if I were to do a non-academic residency and stay in PDX I would go to Legacy-Emanuel. It is a good place.

Perspective is everything they say, and you and I have different ones. Assumptions, also can be bad, we wont go there with the common euphamisms given to what happens to those who assume...but let me clarify...I wasnt knocking OHSU and its faculty at all...I was just sharing my humble opinion on Hospitals...not programs....I meant no offense! Secondly, I am not a wanna-be knife boy....I am a knife girl! as you would put it...and I actually was part of the medical community as it were/is in the Legacy system, because my undergrad is nursing....and I rotated thru all of the hospitals..and worked a bit at OHSU....many of my friends are the RNs, Residents and yes some attendings that grace the halls of all of these hospitals...and I wasnt critiquing programs at all...just hospitals...residents and attendings alone dont make or break institutions..although they may be the firm foundation that keeps the system itself fluid. I have no intention of pursuing my surgical training in Oregon. OHSU has a great surgical program, but the reasons why it is great are not everything that Im looking for I have other interests at heart. I love my community, I respect the medical community and surroundings in Portland and I think all of the residencies have a strong reputation, especially OHSU, in the NWst and across the country...however, I thought I was responding to a question about medicine residency, and hospitals in portland...some how that got confused by you or myself..or a combo....please find solace in the fact that no harm or ill will was meant....and I hope that you find you can share all the positives things you have about medicine in portland in a friendly, not vindictive manner....no toes were meant to be stepped on. My family is in PDx..everyones family falls ill...they want them to be taken care of well...and I think that is possible at all of the hospitals mentioned...not many cities can say that.....anyway..hopefully some of the completely unintentional havoc I caused with my statement has been resolved...best of luck!

Thank you both for your suggestions about the Portland programs. It's a city I really feel at home in and I'm very hopeful to be able to match to one of its programs. The funny thing about your discussion is that actually while I applied to all three of the community programs, Legacy Emmanuel didn't invite me to interview and I didn't bother applying to OHSU since I could pretty well guarantee that I'm not the candidate they're looking for. So as great (or not) as Legacy may be, it was never a possibility. However, I loved both St. Vincent and Providence Portland and I would feel very lucky to match to either of them!
Thanks again!

All of the programs in PDX will provide you with the opportunity to get the training you want. Portland is a nice city and I am sorry that I have to leave it for residency training -- wife is a post-doc on the east coast. Have fun :D

Since the subject has been brought up, and Ped mentioned OHSU's research - how do you all feel about OHSU for someone who wants to stay in academic medicine? Do you know if they have a research track? I'm particularly interested in epidemiology & preventive med research, and I've heard a lot of good research comes out of OHSU.

I've never been to Portland, but it's among the top few cities on my "list". Some of my college friends think I'd love it. It's my top city on "Find your spot".com. Politically and socially, I think I would be at home. Now, hopefully the academic environment would also be good. I obviously want good residency characteristics, but I think geographic location and possible long-term opportunities are going to be more important for me.

dante201 said:
Since the subject has been brought up, and Ped mentioned OHSU's research - how do you all feel about OHSU for someone who wants to stay in academic medicine? Do you know if they have a research track? I'm particularly interested in epidemiology & preventive med research, and I've heard a lot of good research comes out of OHSU.

I've never been to Portland, but it's among the top few cities on my "list". Some of my college friends think I'd love it. It's my top city on "Find your spot".com. Politically and socially, I think I would be at home. Now, hopefully the academic environment would also be good. I obviously want good residency characteristics, but I think geographic location and possible long-term opportunities are going to be more important for me.

Is it JHU with Bloomberg School of Public Health? No. But there is a lot of research going on here. The public health degrees are spread out between OHSU, Portland State University, and Oregon State University; depending on which aspect of statistics and public health you are interested in. I don't think UO is involved but I may be wrong.

Check out the following web sites:
http://www.ohsu.edu/policycenter/
http://www.ohsu.edu/ethics/
http://www.ohsu.edu/epc/
http://dch.ohsuhealth.com/index.cfm?pageid=386&sectionID=133&open=386&cfid=6&cftoken=59572841
http://www.ohsu.edu/public-health/

Also the Oregon Graduate Insitite School of Science & Techcnology is a part of OHSU.

I hope this helps.