Possibilities for an Australian Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billious

Hallo van Holland
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just registered to come and ask you all some suggestions and questions on behalf of my girlfriend who is a 5th year medical student in Holland.
We met here in Australia over a year ago while she was travelling for 6 months, naturally she loved the place and found it hard to leave but having 2 years of medicine to finish she returned to Holland to complete them and I followed ;)

As we plan to settle in Sydney, Australia she is now exploring her options for an Internship for her last 3 months of study, preferably in Pediatrics. I’m not well versed in the details of internships, medical study etc... But I am aware of some the advantages, possibilities and the opportunities that the Australian health system offers.

She has made enquiries here in Holland to some superiors who have connections with some colleagues in Australia and for the process of application she has been asked to offer some reasoning for why she’d want to do here internship here. Using me as a reason wouldn’t hold that much substance and would only seem circumstantial ;) So I would like to ask you all for some suggestions for reasons, advantages, opportunities that are related to the Australian Health System that may be beneficial in helping her to make a reasonable request and application to her lecturers.

I am also aware that there are 2 highly regarded children's hospitals at Camperdown and Westmead that may offer her some opportunities for a Pediatric internship, perhaps there are some possibilities there.

Anyhow, we’d sincerely appreciate any advice, recommendations, suggestions or leads that anyone can offer that could help us out.

Feel free to private message me or email as well.

Thanks to all.

Billy

Members don't see this ad.

anyone got any ideas? thanks all...

hi Billious,

the 2 main paediatric hospitals in NSW are children's hospital westmead (CHW) and sydney children's hospital (randwick). you can only get a job there when you finish internship and RMO1 (resident medical officer) unfortunately. but your g/f can do a pre-internship elective (NOT payed) here at CHW (i'm a med student doing my paeds term). check the following website: http://www.paediatrics.med.usyd.edu.au/electives.htm

to work (and get payed) as an intern and RMO, your g/f will have to pass the AMC exams (Australian Medical Coucil-google for website), apply for an internship position through IMET (institute of medical education and training-the NSW postgraduate medical council) and get a work visa from DIMIA (www.immi.gov.au). to start specialty training (in paeds or other) she will have to be a permanent resident (PR) or oz citizen by the time of application (or intake, not sure). to get PR she will need to apply to DIMIA at the end of internship (or marry you!).
k, hope this helps.
ps: although wanting to train in paeds at CHW is a good excuse, i think having an aussie partner is a valid point as well.
word.

dsm