Possibility for PM&R with 451 COMLEX 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RT2DO

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current 3rd yr medical student at a DO school. Did poorly on COMLEX 1 due to a multitude of reasons, and lost confidence and never took step 1 either. I am feeling pretty good going forward for Level 2, but have I lost a chance at PM&R due to my Level 1 score? I am doing pretty good during the 3rd yr rotations (3 honors, 1 high pass and 1 pass so far) and have good LOR’s. Home family med program loves me and the PD has told me that they would love to keep me multiple times. Should I just focus on matching FM, or do I have a chance at PM&R? Plan on scheduling 2 audition rotations in my 4th yr, just to get a good feel of the programs. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't be too discouraged and should still apply if PM&R is what you want to do. Focus on crushing level 2, continue to do well on your rotations, build up your CV in other areas, do away rotations like you are planning. You can use FM as back up if you'd be ok doing FM. Your level 1 score wont be the ultimate rate limiting step to matching a program since you passed first go around but it may get you screened out at some "higher tier" programs. Good luck!

I'm a 4th year med student who applied this year and it seems like the specialty is getting more competitive. I would try and take step 2 if I were you and make connections with any local PM&R programs. Definitely do a few away rotations as well because performing well in person is the best way to get programs to look past your scores.