Possibility of acceptance into a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raztje

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I am a aspiring med student i had a Biology Degree but in the 5 courses need to get into med school i had a total of 2.4 gpa. I doing them over and thus far my gpa from the new grades is 3.7 gpa but i may end up with a blended gpa of 2.98. Any suggestions!! Will any school accept me to do medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that DO schools do grade replacement, so you should definitely have a shot there.

And in order to enter at an MD level?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there as specific reason you posted this in the Caribbean forum? Are you asking RE: Caribbean schools?

If that's the case I would think that most of the reputable and established Caribbean schools would look favorable on your accomplishment, whether alone or blended. Apply and find out!

-Skip

I am a Caribbean Student. And yes i am asking about Caribbean schools but i dont mind if the responses are not limited to it

I am a Caribbean Student. And yes i am asking about Caribbean schools but i dont mind if the responses are not limited to it

You are a Caribbean undergrad student?

-Skip

Yes i am i have a BS. in Biology but my conferral was from a US university

Yes i am i have a BS. in Biology but my conferral was from a US university

So, let me get this straight:

• You are a Caribbean student who graduated with a BS in Biology where the degree was conferred from a U.S. school - does that mean you are from the Caribbean and went to a U.S. university? I am familiar with that because a lot of the more wealthy people when I was in Dominica would send their kids to U.S. schools.
  • If you could get into a U.S. medical school, that would be cool but a Caribbean medical school is okay too.
  • Being a Caribbean native (again I'm assuming), where do you want to ultimately practice medicine: Caribbean or U.S.? If it is the Caribbean, I think you'll have no problem getting into one of the 'Big Three' Caribbean schools (St. George's, AUC, and Ross) and being able to practice medicine in the Caribbean. You might even be able to do your residency in the Caribbean, but I would still try to do it in the U.S. if I were you.
  • You should look into University of the West Indies in Jamaica. This is a European style school, but it is quite prestigious. I think if you get your scores up you have a shot.
Again, this is presuming that you are a Caribbean native from one of the islands and this is what you want to do. If you want to apply to the U.S., then your chances might be lower with your grades. You will probably get into one of the 'Big Three' Caribbean schools, though.

Good luck!

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user