Possibility of matching with very low usmle scores for an img

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leaves87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there
I just took my usmle steps 1 and 2 CK, passed both in the first attempt but with terrible scores of 202 and 220 respectively. Wondering if I should even take CS...?

Members don't see this ad.

Go all in on Family Medicine (literally apply to every program except the competitive ones) and hope for the best. It will definitely be hard, but since you don't need a VISA and you have no fails, it's possible.

If you look at Charting Outcomes for IMG's, about 1/3 match with scores in those ranges. Whether it's worth continuing depends on the rest of your app and your risk tolerance.

Reactions: 2 users
If you passed your Steps on the first attempt, FM/IM are realistic. Be sure to apply (very) broadly.

I agree with above--it is not impossible to match if the rest of your app is good, but you are probably less than 50/50. If you're going to apply, apply to FM broadly and are willing to take the risk of spending thousands of dollars and still failing to match, then knock yourself out.

Not all IMG schools are equal and it matters - does YOUR school have a track record of placing people in US residencies? Ideally this would be more than just one or two every few years. Perhaps you could reach out to past grads who have matched in the US for their advice and opinions on the application process?

If your school hasn't had much recent success with the US match system then the outlook isn't favorable.

I assume by IMG you mean you are a US resident who attended medical school abroad and not a foreign resident who attended medical school in your home country (FMG)?

If it’s the latter, you would be better off just pursuing a medical career in your home country. If it’s the former, I would talk to your medical school to see if they can help you but the outlook isn’t good. You might want to look into auxiliary medical careers eg PA school.