Possible back-up plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specialksereal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently decided to change my major to psychology from biology. I plan on recieving a bachelors and possible higher education afterwards. I have always wanted to be a dentist, but the biology route was not for me (it did not interest me like psych does). So I was wondering what some good back up degrees are I could get if I don't get into dental school. (Example: I have thought, briefly, about neuroscience doctorate if I don't get into dental) Any more input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're asking us to tell you what to major in...seriously.....?

no.. i am asking for some input on what the better branches of psychology after a bachelors degree are, and what higher psych degrees are better paying and possibly the jobs that are more in demand. Please clearly read the question before completely misinterpreting it. I do not need anybody to tell me what to major in, I am simply asking for some intellectual guidance. K thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The area of psychology one chooses is going to be a function of the persons specific interests. None of these could be considered back ups though, as graduate school admission in psychology is very, very competitive and one needs to have considerable research experience and a specific area of interest before applying. Doctoral training in psychology is primarily a mentor model, so you apply to work with certain professor's lab.

Earning potential is probably highest in I/O psych and in the forensic sub-specialty of clinical psych.

did you seriously just tell a veteran member of this forum to clearly read the question before answering?

Why don't you clearly read the stickies in the forums that tell you to:

1. use the search function before asking questions that have been answered 500 times already

If that concept was too hard for you to figure out, it would probably be best that you scratch the idea of grad school now before you waste your time chasing a pipedream. If you can't get into dental school, you won't get into a phd program.

I have recently decided to change my major to psychology from biology. I plan on recieving a bachelors and possible higher education afterwards. I have always wanted to be a dentist, but the biology route was not for me (it did not interest me like psych does). So I was wondering what some good back up degrees are I could get if I don't get into dental school. (Example: I have thought, briefly, about neuroscience doctorate if I don't get into dental) Any more input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Psychology and Neuroscience PhD programs are extremely competitive to get into. These programs can't be considered to be back up plans.