possible defection

Started by gyri
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gyri

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi

I am a 4th year getting my first exposure to Ophtho at the eleventh hour, and I love it. If I were to bail out of the match this year in order to apply to the ophtho match next year, does anyone know if I'd stand a chance?

My step I is 253, and I am at the top of my class. Of course, I don't have any lors from Ophthalmologists (yet)...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks!
 
Originally posted by gyri
Hi

I am a 4th year getting my first exposure to Ophtho at the eleventh hour, and I love it. If I were to bail out of the match this year in order to apply to the ophtho match next year, does anyone know if I'd stand a chance?

My step I is 253, and I am at the top of my class. Of course, I don't have any lors from Ophthalmologists (yet)...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks!

I'd think you'd be a STRONG candidate because you'll have 1 year to do ophtho stuff and research. Average board scores for people who matched is 225. So you'd be an elite.

Furthermore, if you took a year off, then this will give you a chance to do a rotation at top programs, like Bascom, Wilmer, and Iowa. Iowa has a nice rotation for visiting students and provides great didactics.

Good luck!