1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

possible defection

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by gyri, Nov 7, 2002.

1. gyri

gyri Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi

I am a 4th year getting my first exposure to Ophtho at the eleventh hour, and I love it. If I were to bail out of the match this year in order to apply to the ophtho match next year, does anyone know if I'd stand a chance?

My step I is 253, and I am at the top of my class. Of course, I don't have any lors from Ophthalmologists (yet)...

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd think you'd be a STRONG candidate because you'll have 1 year to do ophtho stuff and research. Average board scores for people who matched is 225. So you'd be an elite.

Furthermore, if you took a year off, then this will give you a chance to do a rotation at top programs, like Bascom, Wilmer, and Iowa. Iowa has a nice rotation for visiting students and provides great didactics.

Good luck!