Possible difficulties of attending a Caribbean school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruinette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am considering applying to a Caribbean medical school and would like to know what I should expect if I do attend one.

I've read that as a caribbean med school graduate, I'll have to take the Step 3 in order to complete residency. What's the ECFMG?

Also, I've also read that the coursework is even harder at a caribbean school than at a mainland US med school. Is that even true?

Are there other tests (that are usually not required by US med students) and other hurdles I should expect in order to practice in the US as a Caribbean grad?

Thank you all in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am considering applying to a Caribbean medical school and would like to know what I should expect if I do attend one.
MCAT, medicine prerequisites like any other US medical school (chem, ochem, bio, physics, calculus, english, etc.)

I've read that as a caribbean med school graduate, I'll have to take the Step 3 in order to complete residency. What's the ECFMG?
you'll need to do the step 3 and finish residency to become a physician. ECFMG oversees that you're qualified to practice/do residency in the US.

Also, I've also read that the coursework is even harder at a caribbean school than at a mainland US med school. Is that even true?
no

Are there other tests (that are usually not required by US med students) and other hurdles I should expect in order to practice in the US as a Caribbean grad?
yes

NO not really, TEXAS is the only state who has required all FMG/IMG's to take a test that surrounds English proficiency, I hear it is being challenged in the Courts now. It's not a "Real" test and if you go to one of the Big four on their list you do not have to take it.

GO to one of the big Caribbean Four AUC,SGU, ROSS SABA and no additional tests compared to US grads.

Members don't see this ad :)

yea, like oldpro said, check out valueMD and the carib forums for more info.

Thank you oldpro and jeesapeesa!

Money is going to become a major issue with attending a school outside of North America, some lenders have cut off loans for a number of Caribbean and other offshore programs.

SGU, AUC, and Ross are the three schools that can allow one to be licensed in all 50 States. I think Saba might be as well but they are not on the Texas list from what I know.

NO not really, TEXAS is the only state who has required all FMG/IMG's to take a test that surrounds English proficiency, I hear it is being challenged in the Courts now. It's not a "Real" test and if you go to one of the Big four on their list you do not have to take it.

GO to one of the big Caribbean Four AUC,SGU, ROSS SABA and no additional tests compared to US grads.

How do I see which school are on Texas List Oldpro. Do you know that address for that.

Thanks.

Ok thats not good. Saba has loan Issues, I wonder how do students pay for Saba, if they are paying through loans? Do they have some kinda private loan setup or do we have to get approved loans from our lenders in states b4 going to the Caribbean? Man, this seems like a big issue for students, who have to take out loans. Atleast SGU, AUC or ROSS don't have loans issues but again they are very expensive. It's great they have Fed loans, but man they eat up the fed loan maximum amount so quick, the students has no choice but to take out private loans, and keep the med school boat floating.

Some light on this this SABA LOAN ISSUE will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ok thats not good. Saba has loan Issues, I wonder how do students pay for Saba, if they are paying through loans? Do they have some kinda private loan setup or do we have to get approved loans from our lenders in states b4 going to the Caribbean? Man, this seems like a big issue for students, who have to take out loans. Atleast SGU, AUC or ROSS don't have loans issues but again they are very expensive. It's great they have Fed loans, but man they eat up the fed loan maximum amount so quick, the students has no choice but to take out private loans, and keep the med school boat floating.

Some light on this this SABA LOAN ISSUE will be appreciated.

Thanks.
SABA has private loans through Teri (several banks). They used to also have Health express but they decided not to sponsor Carribean schools anymore. The administration is going to get another lender soon as well. You can always get loans through Teri. As far as Texas goes, as long as your not on their Disapproved list, you can practice in Texas but its just not as easy as if your already on their approved list of schools. SGU, Ross, AUC has federal loans as well but their tuition is so high you also need private loans. SABA costs less than half of what SGU costs. As far as Step 3 goes, you don't need it to compete for residency if your a US resident or citizen. You only need to take step 3 if your a foreigner like canada before you can apply for residency. I don't really know if the Carribean school is harder but you should know they take students who have lower GPAs than other students who get into US medical schools. So these students might just not do as well and this increases the schools attrition rate. I don't believe in those attrition rates determining if your school is bad or not simply because these schools are giving you a chance to prove yourself. By accepting students who have lower GPAs, not everyone can make it through the medical program. Other hurdles to expect in going to a Carribean school is that you have to make sure your clinical rotations are greenbook, because some states not the majority require greenbook rotations in order to get licensed later. A US medical student doesn't have to worry about their rotations being green or not.

Whats up with the Green book rotation. Is that true as long as you go to the big4 the (GBR) is taken care of. Do students have to make sure that their rotations are (GBR) if they are going to Saba. What about MUA-Nevis (GBR), how do we make sure that students is doing a (GBR).

Thanks.

Whats up with the Green book rotation. Is that true as long as you go to the big4 the (GBR) is taken care of. Do students have to make sure that their rotations are (GBR) if they are going to Saba. What about MUA-Nevis (GBR), how do we make sure that students is doing a (GBR).

Thanks.

You have to do Cores at Teaching Hospitals, You can do Electives anywhere else.

YES you must make sure you are doing them, the Cores, at a teaching place, Psych rotations have been a problem in the past.

NO! How did everyone miss this one? Besides Texas, which has a Medical Jurisprudence exam for IMGs (a test on the applicable laws governing the practice of medicine), the process of becoming an MD from a US or Carib school is the same.

Basic Sciences - USMLE I - Third year - USMLE II CS/CK - Fourth Year - // Internship - USMLE III - Residency - Boards - License

You missed my post???????? I was early on this one:laugh: