1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

possible late start to internship

Discussion in 'Internship' started by drjthor2, Dec 7, 2005.

1. drjthor2

drjthor2 Junior Member

Medical Student
    Anyone have any information about how difficult it would be to keep a residency spot if one is unable to begin on the usual start date? I have a situation where I started 3rd year late due to my wife's complications during her pregnancy and now I may not be able to make up all the time missed over the next two years. My school has a strange policy about only releasing students on certain dates. So, even if I could get all my work in before July 15, my school may not release me until Late August. Anyone have any experience or input on a late start? I may not know about my exact availability until after the match. Am I better off dealing with the consequences of telling my program I can't start until a certain date after matching or do I let them know upfront the possibility exists I may not be ready to start on the usual date during the interview process? What are the chances a program will still want me (given I have no academic issues creating this tardiness) and allow me to start late? Am I looking at a year off? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's horse$hit. They can do basically whatever they like. Pester your deans until they make an exception. ;)