possible late start to internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjthor2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any information about how difficult it would be to keep a residency spot if one is unable to begin on the usual start date? I have a situation where I started 3rd year late due to my wife's complications during her pregnancy and now I may not be able to make up all the time missed over the next two years. My school has a strange policy about only releasing students on certain dates. So, even if I could get all my work in before July 15, my school may not release me until Late August. Anyone have any experience or input on a late start? I may not know about my exact availability until after the match. Am I better off dealing with the consequences of telling my program I can't start until a certain date after matching or do I let them know upfront the possibility exists I may not be ready to start on the usual date during the interview process? What are the chances a program will still want me (given I have no academic issues creating this tardiness) and allow me to start late? Am I looking at a year off? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

drjthor2 said:
My school has a strange policy about only releasing students on certain dates.

That's horse$hit. They can do basically whatever they like. Pester your deans until they make an exception. ;)