Possible Re-applicant Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmyou

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I applied to 18 medical schools this cycle, but I haven't had any acceptances so far (only 2 WLs). I'm preparing for a reapplication, just in case. I finished most of my secondaries between mid-July and mid-August. My main questions are: 1) What are the weaknesses of my current application and how can I fix this? and 2) Can I apply this upcoming cycle, or should I wait and strengthen my application?

LM: 69

Clinical Experience
- Free clinic: ~160 hours
- Cared for children with chronic illnesses: ~550 hours
- Shadowing: ~50 hours
- Scribing: listed 1000+ future hours

Nonclinical Experience
- Volunteering with elderly & children: ~100 hours
- Social justice: volunteered ~40 hours over spring break

Research: ~850 hours. No publications or posters.

Other
- Chemistry TA
- Co-founder of a club
- 2 other clubs I showed long-term commitment to

Potential areas of weakness
- Bad essays? Definitely will start these a lot earlier and get more eyes on them.
- Bad school list? I see now that I applied to a lot of low-yield schools/service-oriented schools. I was too focused on applying to schools that fit my stats.
- Too cookie cutter of an applicant?
- Not enough non-clinical volunteer experience?

I'm trying my best to strengthen my application, but I'm not sure whether it'll be good enough to apply for the 2019-2020 cycle. Here is what I'm doing/planning to do by the time of application:
- Volunteer with 3 different organizations for 130+ more hours
- Paid academic tutor
- More shadowing

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I welcome any feedback and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your application will be stronger with your additional EC's. You could still receive an acceptance from the 2 schools where you interviewed. If you are not accepted by early June let us know here and we can give you an expanded school list to apply to.

Schools to add if you need to reapply:

Creighton
Albany
NYMC
Cal North State
Rosalind Franklin
Nova Southeastern
Toledo
University of Cincinnati
Western Michigan

Also, keep in mind that your status as an Asian will make it harder in terms of filling out a school’s demographics. I would also add some DO schools so you don’t have to reapply later third time.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Potential areas of weakness
- Bad essays? Definitely will start these a lot earlier and get more eyes on them.
Start writing now, honestly. Find some annecdote (Imo I'd go totally non-medical) that demosntrates why you want to be a doc and why you'd be a good one. Get a solid draft out, get 1-2 reviewers. Then start pre-writing secondaries for schools you'll likely apply to (you need to more or less nail down a school list for this).
- Bad school list? I see now that I applied to a lot of low-yield schools/service-oriented schools. I was too focused on applying to schools that fit my stats.
Add DO schools too. For this, would likely recommend shadowing a DO.
- Too cookie cutter of an applicant?
- Not enough non-clinical volunteer experience?
IMO definitely for both of these. Your clinical and research were well-thought-out and long-term-- you clearly put in some dedicated effort there. Your non-clinical stuff seems a bit haphazard. Find something you really enjoy and stick with it for some time. Get a few annecdotes out of it (for med school and just to be a better person and have fun). You actually seem to have this, but you barely mention it in your description (the anti-trafficking and other clubs are basically an afterthought). Focus on this a little more (in your time investment as well as in your app)-- sets you apart from everyone else.

Just my opinion-- not an adcom, but also and asian VA male.

Hi mmyou, i am in the same boat, got interview at EVM during Feb 2019 and waiting. Good luck to you, keep posted