Possible Re-applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemstone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm new to SDN, primarily because I wanted to get feedback on my possible re-applying status. In the current 2012-2013 cycle, I've received 3 interviews (George Washington (11/15, University of Maryland 10/22, and Penn State 1/30). I was waitlisted at GW and Maryland, and I'm still waiting to hear back from Penn State. From my perspective, my interviews have gone very well. I applied just about the end of June, so I don't believe that's the issue.

As far as my stats/application go, I believe my extracurriculars and my gpa are stellar (3.87 and I'm currently an NIH postbac), so I'm almost certain that the only true issue with my application is my MCAT. I took it in July 2011 and got a 28: PS 10/ VR 8 /BS 10. I am already planning to submit additional updates/LOIs, etc. to the schools I'm waitlisted at, but I'm trying to develop a solid back-up plan should I not get in this cycle.

My current ideas are as follows:
Option 1: Begin studying for the MCAT now, while still waiting for Penn State to reply back and while in a full time job and plan to take around end of April/early May and apply early for the upcoming cycle.

Option 2: Wait a cycle, spread studying out over 5 months during my full time job and take the MCAT sometime between September and next March. The issue with this option is I will need to find another job after my 2 year contract at the NIH expires.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting 3 interviews! You seem to be in okay shape. Do you interview well?

It seems like there is a good chance you will get in this year. If you want to be way more competitive, retake the MCAT. 28 is definitely holding you back I would imagine. Did the score come up in your interviews? If you get a 32+ then it definitely won't be numbers holding you back. Huge commitment though, so it's all on you. If you think you could pull of a high MCAT score: go for it.

Congrats on getting 3 interviews! You seem to be in okay shape. Do you interview well?

It seems like there is a good chance you will get in this year. If you want to be way more competitive, retake the MCAT. 28 is definitely holding you back I would imagine. Did the score come up in your interviews? If you get a 32+ then it definitely won't be numbers holding you back. Huge commitment though, so it's all on you. If you think you could pull of a high MCAT score: go for it.

I believe the interviews have been going well. My score only came up during one of the Penn State interviews, but my interviewer was systematically going through my whole application. He simply said "Your gpa is wonderful, but you got a 28 on your MCAT. Do you think this represents your knowledge?". But Penn State accepts 28's, so it didn't concern me as much as it did at the other schools. I think I've decided to start studying now. Money isn't a huge issue, so if I take an AAMC practice test a few weeks out and I'm not where I want to be, or I get accepted somewhere, then I'll cancel my date.

I believe the interviews have been going well. My score only came up during one of the Penn State interviews, but my interviewer was systematically going through my whole application. He simply said "Your gpa is wonderful, but you got a 28 on your MCAT. Do you think this represents your knowledge?". But Penn State accepts 28's, so it didn't concern me as much as it did at the other schools. I think I've decided to start studying now. Money isn't a huge issue, so if I take an AAMC practice test a few weeks out and I'm not where I want to be, or I get accepted somewhere, then I'll cancel my date.

Congrats on the interviews! the only thing i caution is studying for the mcat and working full time is hard, so i would give yourself plenty of time....
I've been thinking about retaking with a 30...but i know i wouldn't be able to apply until next year because i am traveling a lot this spring!

I hope you get in! 3 interviews is great- good luck!