Possible reapplicant looking for honest feedback!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kajkid2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My cycle isn't going super great. This is my first time applying and I got 2 IIs. One turned into a straight post-II R and the other put me on the WL. I'm wondering if you guys can shed some light on whether or not you think I should apply again in the coming cycle or hold off a year. I'm just going to briefly list out my background and activities to give some context.

cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.90
Major: Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
MA resident, ORM

Activities:
Clinical experience
  • Worked as a mental health assistant in a locked psych unit for a summer between semesters for about 370 hours. Had to do patient intake screenings, do wellness checks on patients every 15 mins, record patient notes for incoming staff, do one-on-one suicide watches, etc.
  • Started working as an anesthesia tech over a summer between semesters, got back to doing it full time during gap year for a total of about 2000 hours now. we help transport patients to and from the OR with docs, assist with intubation, attach monitoring to patients, perform equipment checks and troubleshoot equipment issues. we also operate emergency devices like rapid transfusion machines during stats.
  • I also do some cardiac monitoring work when the cardiac anesthesia techs are short-staffed at our hospital. it's a very similar concept to what I said above but I also have to help with the placement of central venous lines and arterial lines. I estimate that by July I'll have 1000 hours of cardiac tech work.
Volunteering -
  • Animal care volunteer at local animal shelter. January 2020 - Present. Expect 70 hours through July
  • Sort through donated clothes then tag and display them to be sold at reduced prices to needy families. December 2019 - Present. Expect 120 hours through July.
  • Volunteered during undergrad at a kitchen that prepared meals for immunocromprised people in the community. January 2019 - May 2019. Only 12 hours
Shadowing -
  • Recently shadowed a cardiac anesthesiologist for 3 days (24 hours total). I think might look a little odd because I work as an anesthesia tech and met this doctor through work? And obviously it's basically impossible to shadow other specialties like primary care or OB/GYN right now with COVID-19.
Research -
  • Was an RA in a neuroscience of language lab at my undergrad institution. became leader in our NIH-funded study looking at cognitive control in persons with aphasia. I had to create 10 computer-based tests of working and short term memory (create stimuli, counterbalance, etc.) and divvy up tasks between other RAs in our lab and our partnering lab in Philly. I put 300 hours but it was probably more like 400 (looking back I have no idea why I put 300 either)
  • Did an independent study/thesis on treating reading comp in persons with aphasia. made my own diagnostic test and treatment activity, then and had graduate students in our clinic give it to our participants and I tracked their progress. I put 165 hours but probably could've put around 200, smh.
  • Did some wet lab research during gap year at the hospital I currently work in as a tech. I operated and then interpreted the results of the TEG machine we were using to look for biomarkers of refractory bleeding in septic patients. I also started doing TEGs for surgical patients beyond the research context once word got out that I could interpret the results for the doctors. This is something I wrote in updates to schools. I estimate I have spent 500 hours on TEG as of right now.
So, what do you guys think? Does it seem like a systemic issue with my app or could it be my PS and/or interview style? Could it be that I had low volunteering hours when I submitted my AMCAS? Feel free to hit me with brutal honesty. This process has made me completely numb lol. I can provide a school list if that would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you post the entire school list? Need a bit more context.
Yes of course. Here it is:
GW (II)
Albany (II)
Sinai (Dad went there and he wanted me to apply even though there’s no way I’d get in)
Einstein
Jefferson
Umass
Temple
NYMC
Rochester
Maryland
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Drexel
MUSC + USC (family moving to SC permanently in July)
Emory
FSU (sister goes to FSU so thought I’d shoot my shot)
Penn State
St. Louis
Tufts
UNC

Members don't see this ad :)
ECs are fairly cookie cutter. You don't have any leadership experiences (I don't really consider your NIH thing "leadership"). None of your clinical experiences are exactly long term and you pretty much started all of your volunteering last year which makes it seem like you were doing it as a last minute, "O snap, I need ECs for med school" sort of thing. Also, it seems like you started 2/3 of your volunteering AFTER applying which means you applied with basically 5 months of volunteering and hardly any long term clinical experience. I'd also recommend dropping the animal care volunteering and finding more clinically relevant experiences. If you can't, then find some advocacy work to do that involves people. You need bigger, long term things to apply with. If you're still in Massachusetts, take advantage of your residency and try to move near a major university that favors in state applicants like UMass. Get involved on a few MEANINGFUL projects, a mix of advocacy and patient exposure, etc.

Hold off on one more year but make sure your MCAT score doesn't expire. If you have to reapply, whether this cycle or the next, then apply more broadly (40+). Your stats are fine, but the rest of your app needs major improvement.

Also, some other things:

Stop worrying so much about "hours" and start focusing on quality.

You need at least 100 hours of shadowing.

I can't say anything about your interviewing style since you only interviewed at 2 schools, though definitely try out some mock interview. I never did any but in your case, just be sure that there aren't major flaws in your interviewing style.
Thanks for your response. just to clarify, is my current gap year of clinical work as an anesthesia tech not a good enough demonstration of long term clinical involvement for this coming cycle? And same with the volunteering, which I’ll have been doing for 5-6 months by application time?

Personally, I'd rather see at least a year and a half of everything. You can shoot your shot this upcoming cycle, but personally, I'm risk averse and wouldn't want to face the stigma of being a 3rd time re-applicant. Like I said, if you do end up applying, be more broad and apply to more schools. Other people on this site can help you with your school list.

What month did you submit your apps this past cycle?
I submitted all secondaries by late July/early August

You are fine to reapply in June with your stats; I suggest all these schools:
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT

You are fine to reapply in June with your stats; I suggest all these schools:
UMass
Tufts
Boston University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT

thank you so much!!! Can I ask why you feel I’m prepared (as the person who first responded to my thread feels the complete opposite lol)? I’m just trying to sift through the feedback to get the most accurate gauge of my app! Thanks in advance.

I'm more risk averse than others. Listen to @Faha. If he says to reapply, then reapply
Just try to improve your ECs as much as possible. I'm fairly confident that's what held you back and fortunately, it's an easier fix than someone who has poor stats.
Completely understandable!! I wasn’t trying to bash your opinion or anything so apologies if it came across that way! I appreciate that you took the time to offer some insight and I’m definitely going to be working hard on my ECs

Your stats are excellent. If you had applied to more appropriate schools you would have received more interviews.

Reactions: 1 user