possible switch to anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureStork

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've claimed Ob/gyn, but I'm currently entering my 4th year of med school and I'm considering Anesthesia. Very different, I know. I'm concerned because I saw 2 postings from people in the same position and they both went back to "their passion" ob/gyn. Well, I certainly don't want to spend my life hating my job, but I have another passion- my family and my life! I love my family, and they are up at the top of my list. It's important to enjoy my marriage as well as my career choice.

I'm doing an elective in Anesthesia because I simply don't know enough about it, as we don't have a rotation at my school during 3rd year. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is the salary going down, as rumors seem to suggest? Are CRNAs taking over the market (I think I know the answer to this one)?

By the way, I understand that one can't simply choose a career based on lifestyle and that's why I'm doing the elective.

Members don't see this ad.

FutureStork said:
I've claimed Ob/gyn, but I'm currently entering my 4th year of med school and I'm considering Anesthesia. Very different, I know. I'm concerned because I saw 2 postings from people in the same position and they both went back to "their passion" ob/gyn. Well, I certainly don't want to spend my life hating my job, but I have another passion- my family and my life! I love my family, and they are up at the top of my list. It's important to enjoy my marriage as well as my career choice.

I'm doing an elective in Anesthesia because I simply don't know enough about it, as we don't have a rotation at my school during 3rd year. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is the salary going down, as rumors seem to suggest? Are CRNAs taking over the market (I think I know the answer to this one)?

By the way, I understand that one can't simply choose a career based on lifestyle and that's why I'm doing the elective.

Well you seem to have realized this yourself already from the experience of the 2 ob/gyns who switched then went back to ob/gyn: If you're not passionate about anesthesiology dont do it. Maybe you'll have more time for family, however if you're unhappy at work, you'll be unhappy at home. Besides, ob/gyn practice can be tailored to your preference (for easier/more predictable hours try outpatient gyn; genetics and reproductive counseling--i think u need an MFM fellowship for that, not sure. . .one of my ob/gyn attendings was leaving for a cush job doing that & i think she specialized in MFM).

chicamedica said:
If you're not passionate about anesthesiology dont do it. .

I agree with this statement all the way. However, I think I would do myself a great disservice if I don't at least explore the field. We have had exposure to most areas of medicine. Why not expose myself ASAP so that I can make the wisest decision? I won't do something that makes me miserable. I'll choose something I love over something I can tolerate, but at this point I think I need more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureStork said:
I agree with this statement all the way. However, I think I would do myself a great disservice if I don't at least explore the field. We have had exposure to most areas of medicine. Why not expose myself ASAP so that I can make the wisest decision? I won't do something that makes me miserable. I'll choose something I love over something I can tolerate, but at this point I think I need more information.

Please, by all means explore anesthesiology!! However, I think you should postpone even considering the decision to switch until you get that "more information" that you're seeking (i.e. experience the rotation). At this point, it seems that your motivation for the switch is primarily based on the lifestyle and money issues, which shouldn't be primary factors to make you leave something you love to do.

chicamedica said:
Please, by all means explore anesthesiology!! However, I think you should postpone even considering the decision to switch until you get that "more information" that you're seeking (i.e. experience the rotation). At this point, it seems that your motivation for the switch is primarily based on the lifestyle and money issues, which shouldn't be primary factors to make you leave something you love to do.

I see. Agree.

Does this mean that nobody will answer my question? :oops:

In looking at previous posts, income and lifestyle seem to be important for those having chosen anesthesia, and they should be. Research is part of exploring a career choice, so can someone please tell me if you know anyone in a similar situation.

I know of two obs that switched to gas after 14 years or so as attendings. They got sick of the same pt population over and over. Liability, law suits, malpractice and delivering teen's babies.
Another ob went into FP after 20 + years...

DrDre' said:
I know of two obs that switched to gas after 14 years or so as attendings. They got sick of the same pt population over and over. Liability, law suits, malpractice and delivering teen's babies.
Another ob went into FP after 20 + years...

Wow. Thanks for the feedback dre.

chicamedica said:
Please, by all means explore anesthesiology!! However, I think you should postpone even considering the decision to switch until you get that "more information" that you're seeking (i.e. experience the rotation). At this point, it seems that your motivation for the switch is primarily based on the lifestyle and money issues, which shouldn't be primary factors to make you leave . . . .

blah blah blah blah . . . . to the original poster, go get your piece of the pie. nothing wrong with considering lifestyle in your equation.

F Stork,

What are you gonna to do in 10 years when:

1) you are making 100,000 a year
2) work about 55 hours a week plus call
3) have CRNAs who make as much as you
4) have to stay in house with a pregnant teen because you're doing a free epidural while the OB sleeps at home
5) no one respects you because all you do is move the table and dump pee
6) your children are grown and your wife is sleeping with the OB while you're in the hospital.

Are you going to switch back to OB then?

militarymd said:
F Stork,

4) have to stay in house with a pregnant teen because you're doing a free epidural while the OB sleeps at home
6) your children are grown and your wife is sleeping with the OB while you're in the hospital.

Zactly.

"Lifestyle" can be misleading, and can change drastically. Same for money. Also a component of lifestyle depends upon how much you actually enjoy the work. Example: pathology--seems like a nice lifestyle right? (predictable hours, more like 40 hr work week, work in an office, look at specimens all day), however despite the fact that i enjoy learning about pathology, my life would be miserable as a pathologist, because there is no patient contact, no adrenaline rush, and i enjoy doing things (i.e. interventions) and being busy while i'm at work.

militarymd said:
F Stork,

a little confused about this. like the next post mentions, I am obviously not going to pick path because, although I loved learning about it, just can't do it. What exactly does this post mean? By the way, I have a husband, not a wife :laugh:

militarymd said:
F Stork,

And by the way, hell yes I would switch if the above goes on. Maybe not to ob, but to something! I would switch spouses :laugh: But seriously, what is wrong with CONSIDERING a career choice because it is appealing? Once upon a time they couldn't pay people enough to be anesthesiologists. Now things have changed. I realize that they can swing the other way, but these comments seem rather silly and extreme.

FutureStork said:
And by the way, hell yes I would switch if the above goes on. Maybe not to ob, but to something! I would switch spouses :laugh: But seriously, what is wrong with CONSIDERING a career choice because it is appealing? Once upon a time they couldn't pay people enough to be anesthesiologists. Now things have changed. I realize that they can swing the other way, but these comments seem rather silly and extreme.

Tell that to the grads who were looking for jobs from 1992 to 1999.

FutureStork said:

I think what militarymd and chica are trying to say is that "lifestyle" matters far less if you aren't enjoying what you are doing every day. Ideally, you should love/enjoy your work, or at least tolerate it, enough so that if you were making that hypothetical $100K/year, you wouldn't be unhappy enough to change fields because you were enjoying your work. If you make a decision solely based on lifestyle right now, regardless of interest in the field, you will likely find yourself in a position of "the grass is always greener..."

Do at least a 1-month elective since you haven't had real exposure to anesthesia yet. Stay on-call at least 2 nights during the month. See if critical care management interests you (basically what you are doing in the OR, as well as becoming an increasing component of anesthesiology training in the future, in the traditional sense). When I was making this same decision last year, I realized that it didn't really matter what other people did in the same situation, because quite simply, they aren't you, and they might have different considerations/interests/goals. The only way you can really research this decision is by doing the rotation. That will hopefully give you your answer.

Finally, if you think that one rotation in anesthesia still leaves you uncertain, you could always do a prelim year in OB and then apply to advanced years in anesthesia if you feel like you made the wrong choice (since you have to do a prelim year or TY for anesthesia anyways). A lot of anesthesia programs hold out a couple of advanced spots every year for possible transfers from surgery, OB, or medicine programs.

lilycat said:
I think what militarymd and chica are trying to say is that "lifestyle" matters far less if you aren't enjoying what you are doing every day. Ideally, you should love/enjoy your work, or at least tolerate it, enough so that if you were making that hypothetical $100K/year, you wouldn't be unhappy enough to change fields because you were enjoying your work. If you make a decision solely based on lifestyle right now, regardless of interest in the field, you will likely find yourself in a position of "the grass is always greener..."

Do at least a 1-month elective since you haven't had real exposure to anesthesia yet. Stay on-call at least 2 nights during the month. See if critical care management interests you (basically what you are doing in the OR, as well as becoming an increasing component of anesthesiology training in the future, in the traditional sense). When I was making this same decision last year, I realized that it didn't really matter what other people did in the same situation, because quite simply, they aren't you, and they might have different considerations/interests/goals. The only way you can really research this decision is by doing the rotation. That will hopefully give you your answer.

Finally, if you think that one rotation in anesthesia still leaves you uncertain, you could always do a prelim year in OB and then apply to advanced years in anesthesia if you feel like you made the wrong choice (since you have to do a prelim year or TY for anesthesia anyways). A lot of anesthesia programs hold out a couple of advanced spots every year for possible transfers from surgery, OB, or medicine programs.

Wow, this is excellent advice. I really appreciate it. I just picked up an elective and I pray that this will help me make my decision. Thanks

I can only echo the excellent advice that has already been posted. Do not go into a specialty just because of what you believe are "lifestyle" advantages.

Depending on where you practice, anesthesiology can be anything but a low stress endeavor. Having been an attending for a year now, I have seen numerous "routine" situations turn into life and death in the blink of an eye. Not to mention that dealing with surgeons sometimes is more stressful than putting a patient with critical AS to sleep! :cool: