Possible to be a novelist while in Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Half of the advice here is indeed "novel." :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Anything is possible. I had an hour per day to spare even on my worst rotations in medical school. And you usually get a day off every week. The only frustrating thing might be that your free time is not very consistent/predictable.

Do realize that it also depends on your expectations. If you decide you want to be a dermatologist so you'll have lots of spare time to write in the future, suddenly beyond the usual stuff you have to juggle publishing research, studying twice as hard for exams because you need the scores, networking, doing away rotations...

Thank you for all of the replies.

I certainly don't think of medical school as a stepping stone to being some type of medical writer. Will I use my experiences/knowledge in my writing? Yes, but I would do that no matter what path I chose. It's what a writer uses: his or her experiences.

Although I wish I could have medical school and writing be equal in priority, but i know that medical school will have to come first for multiple reasons. Hopefully I can find a groove and be happy with my time in both.

And I do disagree with people who question how a person could desire to be a doctor and also a writer. I believe they are both rooted in my desire to do something that impacts of other people in a positive way. After that, they branch off in different directions, but in both venues I would hope to leave lasting, positive impressions

Members don't see this ad :)
a college buddy of mine got his book published the same year he passed his peds boards. he also had several literary articles and short stories published in the years before that. he's not a Michael Crichton (at least, not yet :laugh:) but he did make it happen. it's totally doable, and as others in the thread have said, it's all about time management.

med school isn't going to consume your every waking moment the way some of you seem to think it will. in fact, if it does, you're doing something wrong and are well down the road to flaming burn-out.

edit: now that i think about it, his book was published BEFORE his boards, while he was still a resident. impressive stuff.

There are always the summers to catch up on some writing. Writing might actually be some good stress relief. We have a law student here who wrote a fictional book very popular with white people (if you know who I'm talking about then you'll know who I'm talking about).

Thank you for all of the replies.

I certainly don't think of medical school as a stepping stone to being some type of medical writer. Will I use my experiences/knowledge in my writing? Yes, but I would do that no matter what path I chose. It's what a writer uses: his or her experiences.

Although I wish I could have medical school and writing be equal in priority, but i know that medical school will have to come first for multiple reasons. Hopefully I can find a groove and be happy with my time in both.

We need good medical writers. Hopefully I can find entertainment by reading something that you write down the road. Think of us on SDN when you become famous! I'll PM you with my contact information. ;)

The point that I was initially making was that medicine is a commitment. I know a doctor who is also a sculptor and his work has won awards, etc. but it is a hobby.

The OP seems to suggest that the writing will be more than a hobby. If that is the case, I think it's wrong to pursue medicine when you can't give 100% to it.

Medicine is unlike any other career in the world with regards to commitment.

The point that I was initially making was that medicine is a commitment. I know a doctor who is also a sculptor and his work has won awards, etc. but it is a hobby.

The OP seems to suggest that the writing will be more than a hobby. If that is the case, I think it's wrong to pursue medicine when you can't give 100% to it.

Medicine is unlike any other career in the world with regards to commitment.

Extending this to its logical conclusion, then, doctors should not have families because they would not be able to devote 100% of themselves to their profession. However, we surely have many real-life examples of successful physicians who are also devoted spouses and parents that should cause you to rethink your hard stance. More relevant to the OP's question, previous posters have given many examples of physician-authors; a list to which I'll add Danielle Ofri and Pauline Chen.

Furthermore, why assign "right" and "wrong" to this, as you just did? Is this a question of ethics? Does a physician who also cares strongly about his family call into question the physician's commitment to his or her patients? Is that physician somehow providing substandard care? What evidence would there be of this?

I understand the viewpoint you hold and your rationale for it, but reality demonstrates that it is eminently possible to be a physician who provides excellent patient care as well as maintain a high level of commitment to other pursuits. It has also been shown that, during medical school, it is possible to keep up with outside interests; but since medical school is merely transitory, at worst the OP would be slowing down or postponing his ability to keep up his writing.

Extending this to its logical conclusion, then, doctors should not have families because they would not be able to devote 100% of themselves to their profession. However, we surely have many real-life examples of successful physicians who are also devoted spouses and parents that should cause you to rethink your hard stance. More relevant to the OP's question, previous posters have given many examples of physician-authors; a list to which I'll add Danielle Ofri and Pauline Chen.

Furthermore, why assign "right" and "wrong" to this, as you just did? Is this a question of ethics? Does a physician who also cares strongly about his family call into question the physician's commitment to his or her patients? Is that physician somehow providing substandard care? What evidence would there be of this?

I understand the viewpoint you hold and your rationale for it, but reality demonstrates that it is eminently possible to be a physician who provides excellent patient care as well as maintain a high level of commitment to other pursuits. It has also been shown that, during medical school, it is possible to keep up with outside interests; but since medical school is merely transitory, at worst the OP would be slowing down or postponing his ability to keep up his writing.

A doctor I know decorates his office with his own photography (and it's really good)... As is my plan eventually :hungover:

Unless I go into ortho with my buddy who's a third year- we have plans to put a skate ramp in the waiting room for both fun and business reasons.

A doctor I know decorates his office with his own photography (and it's really good)... As is my plan eventually :hungover:

Funny you mention it. My thought's always been that if the doctor thing doesn't work out, I'll try to make a living as a photographer.

I fully expect to use my photography to keep me sane during school.

I don't think we are speaking the same language.

Members don't see this ad :)
Granted I haven’t started med school yet (August!!! J) However as an undergrad I wrote songs for record co.’s and toured with a band on weekends while working 30 hours a week and taking 16+ credits each semester. Just played SXSW! It was awesome and I have every intention on keeping up my writing for the rest of my life. Oh, I also own a recording studio, but I don’t count that as work really, just play J. In fact, I’ve recorded with one of my soon to be instructors in med school. OP, you can do it and don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. Maybe THEY can’t. But you can ;)

Does anyone have any advice/insights? Is it possible to write 5-10 hours per week while in medical school? Is it irresponsible? What do people do when they have a passion they hold just as high as their path to medicine?

I wrote a novel for NaNo this past year without experiencing any drop in my grades. If you make it a priority, you can make it happen. I'm not sure how realistic it will be during some rotations in third year, but you can definitely find 5-10 hours (if that's all you require) to write during 1st, 2nd, and 4th years.

Dr. Richard Selzer is one of my favorite authors. A brilliant writer who wrote books about his experiences as a surgeon - such as "Confessions of a Knife" and "The Exact Location of the Soul." These are wonderful books. He was a professor of surgery at the Yale Medical School and a Professor of writing and literature at Yale University. A true Renaissance Man! I believe that he is retired now.

There seems to be a few people here who hold the opinion that people who want to be doctors should only take on other activities that come from similar values. For example, one person mentioned not understanding how writing and being a doctor go together and another person said that he 'hopes at least that the writing would be for the purpose of advancing health policy, etc.'

I was wondering where these mindsets come from?

Also, for the guy who repeatedly mentions that we are all pre-med so none of us know, some actual med students have responded and responses, generally, seem positive.

Dr. Richard Selzer is one of my favorite authors. A brilliant writer who wrote books about his experiences as a surgeon - such as "Confessions of a Knife" and "The Exact Location of the Soul." These are wonderful books. He was a professor of surgery at the Yale Medical School and a Professor of writing and literature at Yale University. A true Renaissance Man! I believe that he is retired now.

One of my favorites, too! Most of his work has been essays and short stories. He started in the horror genre and use to rise before dawn to get in a few hours of writing before going to the hospital. I've heard him speak a few times and give readings of his works.

One of his absolutely funniest essays is a slam on pathologists, their habit of comparing body parts to food, and their propensity for coveting and collecting things. In another he describes a consultation with an Italian immigrant woman. Because the only Italian Selzer knows is based on operas the conversation is quite amusing. I wish I could remember which book(s) those essays were in. Much of my Selzer collection has grown legs over the years.

One of my favorites, too! Most of his work has been essays and short stories. He started in the horror genre and use to rise before dawn to get in a few hours of writing before going to the hospital. I've heard him speak a few times and give readings of his works.

One of his absolutely funniest essays is a slam on pathologists, their habit of comparing body parts to food, and their propensity for coveting and collecting things. In another he describes a consultation with an Italian immigrant woman. Because the only Italian Selzer knows is based on operas the conversation is quite amusing. I wish I could remember which book(s) those essays were in. Much of my Selzer collection has grown legs over the years.

I'll have to read some of his. As I am 'currently' a horror writer, though I dabble in other genres.

I also think that the getting up early strategy might be best. I'd guess most classes/responsibilities would start at 9 and if I'm up at 6 I can get in an hour or two of writing during that down-time when most people would be waking themselves up for the day.

This could be me being naive, of course :p

I am in a similiar boat MedicalAuthor. I'm a pre-med, have been writing for the past couple of years, plus I'm new to this forum, too. I tried getting a book published when I was fresh out of high school and was told that with only a high school education and being so young, I wasn't marketable. :( So, instead I found out about self-publishing. There are a few websites, I prefer Lulu where you don't have to deal with stress of a publishing house, but where you can stay the boss of your stuff. It's a suggestion. Best of luck!

I'll have to read some of his. As I am 'currently' a horror writer, though I dabble in other genres.

I also think that the getting up early strategy might be best. I'd guess most classes/responsibilities would start at 9 and if I'm up at 6 I can get in an hour or two of writing during that down-time when most people would be waking themselves up for the day.

i think it's been mentioned a couple of times but i really don't think you need to worry too much about writing during med school.

I am in a similiar boat MedicalAuthor. I'm a pre-med, have been writing for the past couple of years, plus I'm new to this forum, too. I tried getting a book published when I was fresh out of high school and was told that with only a high school education and being so young, I wasn't marketable. :( So, instead I found out about self-publishing. There are a few websites, I prefer Lulu where you don't have to deal with stress of a publishing house, but where you can stay the boss of your stuff. It's a suggestion. Best of luck!
isn't self-publishing generally looked down upon?

F Paul Wilson is in that genre as well. He started writing in medical school and residency, I believe, and still practices as a GP 1 day a week and writes the rest of the time.

isn't self-publishing generally looked down upon?[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess it depends where you want to go with your writing. If you're in it for the fame, then maybe. You can still make money self-publishing, but you'll have to do your own marketing. So, everything about it is in your hands basically.
Geez, why didn't my quote thingy work?! >(

sounds like a plan... however, around here, classes start at 8. Surgical grand rounds (weekly lecture), IIRC start at 7 or 7:30 and the residents show up on the dot after they've made their morning rounds on patients who will be operated on that day. Surgeons get up very early in the morning but you can always get up earlier.

sounds like a plan... however, around here, classes start at 8. Surgical grand rounds (weekly lecture), IIRC start at 7 or 7:30 and the residents show up on the dot after they've made their morning rounds on patients who will be operated on that day. Surgeons get up very early in the morning but you can always get up earlier.

I am starting a surgical residency in June. I have lost my ability to "sleep in". I always wake up at about 5am now, regardless of what time I actually go to bed. Those days of partying, staying out late, and then sleeping until noon are gone.

i think it's been mentioned a couple of times but i really don't think you need to worry too much about writing during med school.

isn't self-publishing generally looked down upon?

Yes and no. As a published author myself (holds for applause), I've seen it as similar to self-releasing music... Thanks to the Internet, marketing and distribution are super easy and it's a great way to get discovered, but eventually you have to step up to the big leagues and get a publisher and/or record label. Unless you're Radiohead.

I am starting a surgical residency in June. I have lost my ability to "sleep in". I always wake up at about 5am now, regardless of what time I actually go to bed. Those days of partying, staying out late, and then sleeping until noon are gone.

Yeah, I don't know where that prior poster got the idea that a 9am start is really the schedule. Medicine is an early morning profession in most cases. Most of the lectures in my first two years started at 8 or 8:30, and that was pretty late by physician standards. Rotations in the clinical years generally started sometime between 5:15 and 7:30 am depending on the specialty, with more starting before 6:30 than after. Truth of the matter is that you will have up to a couple of hours that are yours to play with each day, they will not be at a set time each day, and most often will be relegated to the evenings after you have finished whatever else you needed to get accomplished that day.

I read this interview and it was really nice to hear: http://www.teenink.com/nonfiction/celebrity_interviews/article/5434/DoctorWriter-Richard-Selzer/

Yes, I do realize he didn't write during medical school, but it's a reminder that, at least, that I could always return to writing later in life. At the LEAST I want to be able to sustain enough writing during the next 10/15 years so as not to lose the talent I do have, as I believe I've gotten quite good.

I hope to be a doctor and a novelist too. I wrote a "practice novel" that probably will never get sold. It's a medical thriller. I wrote many science fiction and other fiction stories too.

I understand "doctor" will need to be my first job. I love medicine a bit more than writing books, I guess