Possible to get a Residency in Japan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheKnightHuma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have had several friends telling me that it would be possible for me to get a residency in Japan. I tried looking on the internet for information on this, but I only found information on coming from Japan to America. The only other thing I found was where a med school in OK had a program where a resident could go to Japan for 3 months (i think) and help teach over there. Does anybody know where I could find information on going overseas to do a residency, and if I do, will it be valid in the US or only in Japan? Thanks a lot!!
~Greg

Members don't see this ad.

If you can read Japanese, this is the website for Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare that explains the steps to obtain Japanese MD license for those with non-Japanese MD degree holders:
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/topics/2005/10/tp1005-1.html

Basically, your medical school that gave you the MD degree needs to be WHO certified and you must be proficient in Japanese (high school level) to take the board exam (although the exam can be taken in English).

Hello-

Has anyone taken the Japanese Medical Board Exam in ENGLISH? How difficult is it comparing with USMLE?

After passing the Board exam, does a US-trained physician need additional residency training in Japan before he can practice medicine and accept the Japanese universal health insurance?

Thanks

-drbee