Possible to Interview while on the Street

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scotty knows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if it is possible to get time off to interview while doing an analyst stint at Goldman or another Bulge Bracket. I have an interview with a Bulge Bracket recruiter the week after Thanksgiving and I don't plan on telling them that I am applying to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No vacation time or PTOs?

Last edited:
Yeah, I should probably ask about that right? I'll just be like so I get sick days and vacation right :). My buddies who are in their second and third years as analysts told me that there is relatively no vacation time during your first year though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I should probably ask about that right? I'll just be like so I get sick days and vacation right :). My buddies who are in their second and third years as analysts told me that there is relatively no vacation time during your first year though.

You work at Goldman Sachs, you are interviewing for med schools AND, all the while, you are studying to take an upcoming MCAT. My hat is off to you...well done brahhhhhhhh

You work at Goldman Sachs, you are interviewing for med schools AND, all the while, you are studying to take an upcoming MCAT. My hat is off to you...well done brahhhhhhhh

:caution: I'm confused, wait what are you talking about? I don't work at GS I said that I have an interview with a Bulge Bracket Bank in a few days. Yes, I am graduating this year and I hope to take the MCAT in April when my PR class ends and apply to med schools in June. I'm talking about next year so I will be working and applying at the same time.

Ohhhhhh.. yeah I was very confused. The "I have an interview the week after Thanksgiving" in your OP with no other context unequivocally means a single thing around here.

Good Luck. My brother works for one of these firms and as a first year analyst got 8 whole days off (that were not weekends). Typically, they make you sign a 2 year contract.

Interviewing while working on the Street is gonna be really hard for a number of reasons:

1) Your bosses will know what's up. Why? Because no one takes vacation time their first year, especially in their first 4 months of work (which you'll have to do). If u say ur interviewing for med school, they will probably make life pretty hard for u since they'll have "wasted" all this energy training an analyst who will leave them in a year. You will likely face a hostile work environment for the rest of your time at that company.

2) Analyst programs at all BB banks are 2 years long. Many interviewers at med schools know this. If you apply in ur first year with the intent to matriculate your second year, interviewers will know you're breaking your contract, and they'll question your integrity.

Good luck though, I'm sure it has been done though. And P.S. - do NOT ask about vacation and benefits in your interview. You will seem soft and uncommitted. Wait until your offer.

x

Last edited:
2) Analyst programs at all BB banks are 2 years long. Many interviewers at med schools know this. If you apply in ur first year with the intent to matriculate your second year, interviewers will know you're breaking your contract, and they'll question your integrity.
How will they know this? I don't think they will. Either way, this sounds like a bad idea.

How will they know this? I don't think they will. Either way, this sounds like a bad idea.

Agree. I really doubt medical school interviewers know such things...