Possible to match Allo IM at Yale or Brown as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deecee2DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this, if not please redirect me to the right one, but my question is: Is it realistic to try to match IM at Brown or Yale coming from a top DO school if you have very competitive step scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope this is the correct forum to ask this, if not please redirect me to the right one, but my question is: Is it realistic to try to match IM at Brown or Yale coming from a top DO school if you have very competitive step scores?

Couple things. One is that there’s an Internal Medicine Forum if you have questions and they typically field questions from medical students there. Second is that I think you lack an understanding of the competitiveness scheme of IM. Competiveness is dictated by location and program reputation which often does not correlate to strength of the undergrad university. In other words, Brown probably doesn’t crack the top 50 IM programs. Yale also isn’t necessarily top 20 either, but is probably still in the upper tier. Finally as a DO student, you will unfortunately not be considered for many top tier residencies. If it makes you feel better, many students from lower tier MD schools receive similar treatment. That being said, there will be programs in the top 20 that take outstanding DOs. Lastly, there are enough mid tier programs that show DOs love so that no DO should feel like they’re missing out on a suberb IM training.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your insight I appreciate it!

I'm applying IM from a lower tier MD school. I didn't get an interview at Yale even with above average board scores, and top tier rank at my med school and honors in IM.

I did interview at Brown- there were no DO's at my interview day - mostly mid to upper tier MD students. Unfortunately with IM and the upper middle tier places it's still a lot to do with reputation of the med school as I am learning on the interview trail.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying IM from a lower tier MD school. I didn't get an interview at Yale even with above average board scores, and top tier rank at my med school and honors in IM.

I did interview at Brown- there were no DO's at my interview day - mostly mid to upper tier MD students. Unfortunately with IM and the upper middle tier places it's still a lot to do with reputation of the med school as I am learning on the interview trail.
Cool thank you for shedding light

There is a community IM program that is closely tied to Yale called Yale-Waterbury. You can actually do as many elective rotations as you want at Yale New Haven Hospital through this residency program.

There is a community IM program that is closely tied to Yale called Yale-Waterbury. You can actually do as many elective rotations as you want at Yale New Haven Hospital through this residency program.
You're limited to five months at Yale, if memory serves me, two in second year and three in third year. There's a couple of other community programs that allow this (Norwalk, Bridgeport, and Greenwich), but the only "real" Yale program that has ever taken a DO is the Yale Primary Care Internal Medicine program, which I believe took one DO in the history of ever, and they were a very unique applicant that had a strong app toward fulfilling their mission.

You're limited to five months at Yale, if memory serves me, two in second year and three in third year. There's a couple of other community programs that allow this (Norwalk, Bridgeport, and Greenwich), but the only "real" Yale program that has ever taken a DO is the Yale Primary Care Internal Medicine program, which I believe took one DO in the history of ever, and they were a very unique applicant that had a strong app toward fulfilling their mission.

That is probably more accurate. But there is something about the Waterbury program that has closer ties compared to the other ones you mentioned. The diploma when you graduate from their residency apparently says "Yale School of Medicine" on it.

That is probably more accurate. But there is something about the Waterbury program that has closer ties compared to the other ones you mentioned. The diploma when you graduate from their residency apparently says "Yale School of Medicine" on it.
All of them say Yale School of Medicine, I worked with doctors from literally all of them for years

Wow time flies! Sorry to revive this thread but I cant believe I posted this 4 years ago lol I am currently an M4 DO and I actually ended up getting interviews at both places for IM. It is insane to watch your dreams come true right before your eyes. SDN has helped me so much over the years

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Wow time flies! Sorry to revive this thread but I cant believe I posted this 4 years ago lol I am currently an M4 DO and I actually ended up getting interviews at both places for IM. It is insane to watch your dreams come true right before your eyes. SDN has helped me so much over the years
Congrats! Will be rooting for you in the match!

• Love
Was there a reason you're shooting for Brown or Yale specifically?

Was there a reason you're shooting for Brown or Yale specifically?
I went to PC for undergrad and have always wanted to go to Brown. Love the city/area and campus. Yale is close to home and has a solid name/fellowship match. Honestly both have a solid fellowship match and have great name (Yale more than Brown in the IM world but still). My other top choice is Vandy