Possible to receive prelim medicine interview invite before advanced program at same place?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TryToFlyHigh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if a program requires separate interviews for consideration at their advanced and prelim medicine program, is it possible to get the prelim medicine interview invite before hearing back from the advanced program? If so, how do you approach responding to these invites if you aren't sure if you will be getting an interview for the same institution's advanced program? I'm only interested in interviewing at a program's prelim medicine if I have their advanced interview in order to possible avoid moving twice. Hope this question makes sense, thanks for any insight into this.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if a program requires separate interviews for consideration at their advanced and prelim medicine program, is it possible to get the prelim medicine interview invite before hearing back from the advanced program? If so, how do you approach responding to these invites if you aren't sure if you will be getting an interview for the same institution's advanced program? I'm only interested in interviewing at a program's prelim medicine if I have their advanced interview in order to possible avoid moving twice. Hope this question makes sense, thanks for any insight into this.

Theoretically yes this is possible, but many places allow you to interview for both prelim and advanced spots during the same trip so ask your advanced program if and when you get an interview.

But to more directly answer your question, I'd just schedule your prelim interview for later on in the season so if you don't land an interview at the A program then you haven't wasted a trip.

Theoretically yes this is possible, but many places allow you to interview for both prelim and advanced spots during the same trip so ask your advanced program if and when you get an interview.

But to more directly answer your question, I'd just schedule your prelim interview for later on in the season so if you don't land an interview at the A program then you haven't wasted a trip.

Thanks for the information that's a good idea, I'll probably just schedule those prelims later in the year if I haven't heard from the advanced program.