Possible to take NBME shelves in addition to NBOME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As usual, the DO version of shelf exams are poorly written and fail to test my knowledge in a given subject matter in any reasonable fashion. Is there anyway to take the NBME shelf exams without being an MD student? Have any of you DO students tried this? It wouldn't count towards honoring for my school's clinical grades but if I did well, I thought I could add it to my application.
I'm wondering if this is even possible - are the MD shelves on computer, like the USMLE step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe anyone other than a school can purchase the NBME shelf exams.

At KCOM, we are given the NBME shelf exams during 3rd year instead of the NBOME (Our OMM department felt the NBOME OMM exam was so poor that they went and wrote their own OMM exam for 3rd year).

I can not speak for others in my class, but I felt they were a double edge sword when it came time for boards. I felt the intimidation of taking these exams forced me to study more for them during our rotations which helped me know the material better for Step II, but the NBME exam questions are no where near what the COMLEX questions were and re-adapting to that style of questions was a challenge in itself.

Bottom line, just get a good test bank like USMLEWorld and you will do fine, just go through your schools hoops in the meantime.

And no, they are not computerized. They are paper and pencil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input

As usual, the DO version of shelf exams are poorly written and fail to test my knowledge in a given subject matter in any reasonable fashion. Is there anyway to take the NBME shelf exams without being an MD student? Have any of you DO students tried this? It wouldn't count towards honoring for my school's clinical grades but if I did well, I thought I could add it to my application.
I'm wondering if this is even possible - are the MD shelves on computer, like the USMLE step 1?

Hi... I know that I am reviving an old thread but I was curious are their benefits for a DO student to take the NBME over the NOBME exams? Do the NBME better prepare you for the USMLE and the NOBME prepare you for the COMLEX? Do DO students have a choice? Thank you for all your help!

Hi... I know that I am reviving an old thread but I was curious are their benefits for a DO student to take the NBME over the NOBME exams? Do the NBME better prepare you for the USMLE and the NOBME prepare you for the COMLEX? Do DO students have a choice? Thank you for all your help!

NBME Shelf exams definitely helps you prepare fro USMLE Step 2.

I imagine NBOME are just as wacky as COMLEX 2 is reported to be, so maybe they help you as well. A current DO student taking the NBOME (I don't know if that's really a thing anymore) could answer your question better.

I go to a DO school and we can take either. Don't understand why anyone would take the nbome though, they are garbage exams. Also why fund the organization we are trying to shut down??