Possibly applying for FOURTH time - Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcn79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not giving up hope for this year yet but I want to get a head start on thinking about reapplying just in case.. Yes, I've applied for three years now. I know that most of you have probably gotten in your first or second year right? I'm not sure if it's frowned upon my dental schools that I have not been accepted during that time. Or... do they respect the fact that I'm committed and REALLY want this and keep forking out money to apply?? The first year, my GPA was very low, 2.5. I've learned a lot since then and I've been continually taking science classes to increase my GPA since I know that was what hurt me the most. Funny thing is that I got an interview to OHSU (I'm an Oregon resident) that year! And was wait-listed. That year I only applied to 8 schools. Also, my DAT AA was only an 18 and I had a 15 in Math. (That year I submitted my AADSAS on July 3rd.) Since then I have retaken the DAT and improved my scores. (See below) In 2009, I applied to 6 schools. I again got an interview to OHSU and was wait-listed. I realize now by reading other threads, the more the better. (That year I submitted AADSAS on Aug 11.)

This year, I applied to ASDOH, MWU, WESTU, USC, UOP, IOWA, BU, UNLV, OHSU, TEMP, VCU.

My DAT scores:
PA 23
QR 16
RC 20
BI 20
GC 19
OC 18
Total S -20
AA 19

My GPA is still hurting me though. BCP is 3.1, Non-Science is 3.4, Total 3.2
So I'm still working to try to improve that but with my wife working, 2 kids, blah blah blah (you've heard it before and some of you are there too), I'm only able to take 2 classes a semester in order to insure I ace them.

I got an interview to USC this year and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. OHSU has said they decided to do one more round of interviewing so I am hoping for another interview there but I heard there are only 5 in-state seats left. I have a small foot in the door there in that they know who I am. I've been doing research at their Integrative Bioscience Lab for 3 years, some of that paid, some volunteer and have been published on a few manuscripts, one of those as second author. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it's getting pretty late in the game.

As for experience, I worked for 5+ years as an office manager in a dental practice and during that time, gained experience in all areas of the practice. I also have 60 hours of shadowing a general dentist. I have 100 hours of volunteer in community service, then the 500 hours at OHSU as a lab assistant and 900 hours as their research assistant.

So here's my questions:

* I know this next cycle, I need to apply early in June right?
* Apply to more schools right? 15 to 20 seems to be what I've read..

* I need to continue to try to improve my GPA as much as I can.
* Should I do more shadowing? I'm thinking of an Endo office that we are friends with the Endodontist - how many hours would be sufficient?
* I am going to re-write my personal statement - any suggestions for writing those/ what to include?
* Do you think I need to re-take the DAT? I thought my scores were pretty dang good but I know now they let you use a calculator for Math (turds).
* The other thing.. I'm almost 31 years old.. at what point does age become a factor in applying?
* Last year I did buy the ADEA book to determine the lower stat requiring schools - any ideas for good OOS and low GPA schools?

* Any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance for your advice and help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not giving up hope for this year yet but I want to get a head start on thinking about reapplying just in case.. Yes, I've applied for three years now. I know that most of you have probably gotten in your first or second year right? I'm not sure if it's frowned upon my dental schools that I have not been accepted during that time. Or... do they respect the fact that I'm committed and REALLY want this and keep forking out money to apply?? The first year, my GPA was very low, 2.5. I've learned a lot since then and I've been continually taking science classes to increase my GPA since I know that was what hurt me the most. Funny thing is that I got an interview to OHSU (I'm an Oregon resident) that year! And was wait-listed. That year I only applied to 8 schools. Also, my DAT AA was only an 18 and I had a 15 in Math. (That year I submitted my AADSAS on July 3rd.) Since then I have retaken the DAT and improved my scores. (See below) In 2009, I applied to 6 schools. I again got an interview to OHSU and was wait-listed. I realize now by reading other threads, the more the better. (That year I submitted AADSAS on Aug 11.)

This year, I applied to ASDOH, MWU, WESTU, USC, UOP, IOWA, BU, UNLV, OHSU, TEMP, VCU.

My DAT scores:
PA 23
QR 16
RC 20
BI 20
GC 19
OC 18
Total S -20
AA 19

My GPA is still hurting me though. BCP is 3.1, Non-Science is 3.4, Total 3.2
So I'm still working to try to improve that but with my wife working, 2 kids, blah blah blah (you've heard it before and some of you are there too), I'm only able to take 2 classes a semester in order to insure I ace them.

I got an interview to USC this year and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. OHSU has said they decided to do one more round of interviewing so I am hoping for another interview there but I heard there are only 5 in-state seats left. I have a small foot in the door there in that they know who I am. I've been doing research at their Integrative Bioscience Lab for 3 years, some of that paid, some volunteer and have been published on a few manuscripts, one of those as second author. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it's getting pretty late in the game.

As for experience, I worked for 5+ years as an office manager in a dental practice and during that time, gained experience in all areas of the practice. I also have 60 hours of shadowing a general dentist. I have 100 hours of volunteer in community service, then the 500 hours at OHSU as a lab assistant and 900 hours as their research assistant.

So here's my questions:

* Should I do more shadowing? I'm thinking of an Endo office that we are friends with the Endodontist - how many hours would be sufficient?
* I am going to re-write my personal statement - any suggestions for writing those/ what to include?
* Do you think I need to re-take the DAT? I thought my scores were pretty dang good but I know now they let you use a calculator for Math (turds).
* The other thing.. I'm almost 31 years old.. at what point does age become a factor in applying?
* Last year I did buy the ADEA book to determine the lower stat requiring schools - any ideas for good OOS and low GPA schools?

I do not think you need to retake the DAT, you did pretty well. IMO, where is NYU?, where iS TUFTS? IF i were you, I would take out applying to the relatively more competitive schools ( I think UoP is very competitive correct?) and add in more private schools such as NYU and Tufts and perhaps NOVA( if your a bio major).

It seems the problem is your gpa, its relatively lower than the averages of acceptance . Have you done a masters? I would probably consider doing a 1-year masters somewhere ,I know Western U has a masters program, its relatively new, maybe you should check that out. Have you called the schools that you interviewed at and have gotten rejected?

Any possible red flags?

What are the science grades you have received and what are the classes you have taken? Can we get a more detailed breakdown of that ( especially bio classes).

So here's my questions:

Age - NEVER

I was definitely not ready for dental school at age 21 or 22. I took a few years to work and had to mature a bit. Now, I'm ready. Sure, I'll be a little older than the rest of my classmates, but we'll all be learning the same things and in the same boat. Age shouldn't be a thought. Best of luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not think you need to retake the DAT, you did pretty well. IMO, where is NYU?, where iS TUFTS? IF i were you, I would take out applying to the relatively more competitive schools ( I think UoP is very competitive correct?) and add in more private schools such as NYU and Tufts and perhaps NOVA( if your a bio major).

It seems the problem is your gpa, its relatively lower than the averages of acceptance . Have you done a masters? I would probably consider doing a 1-year masters somewhere ,I know Western U has a masters program, its relatively new, maybe you should check that out. Have you called the schools that you interviewed at and have gotten rejected?

Any possible red flags?

What are the science grades you have received and what are the classes you have taken? Can we get a more detailed breakdown of that ( especially bio classes).

Do you want me to list all science classes throughout entire college career? Or just post-bacc classes?

Do you want me to list all science classes throughout entire college career? Or just post-bacc classes?

Both I guess, the more info you provide the better feedback you would get.

answers = blue
So here's my questions:

yep

yep

ofc

you don't need more shadowing. You have a huge list of dental experiences, trust me, they are aware that you KNOW what your getting yourself into (which is the whole purpose of shadowing in the first place)

re-write or no re-write, its not going to make that much of a difference. If you have a good PS today, you don't need to re-write anything.... its already good

lmao at "turds". Lets hold off on the re-take idea. Your DAT is good, your GPA is lower than average. You compensate for this by either:
-doing a huge load of post-bacc, but this is time consuming and expensive
-retaking the DAT and scoring 21AA+...... but nothing is guaranteed here
-and your best option is.... applying to A LOT of schools (easiest option, but could be very costly ~ depending on how many interviews you land)

never. But you gotta be smart about it... applying 2 times in a row and not getting in is a flag to hold off applying for a 3rd time until you've done some application fixing. Thats water under the bridge now, lets focus on trying to get you in this cycle

Low GPA schools don't exist, some have sGPAs between 3.3-3.4 but thats the lowest I've seen them (I think michigan is one).

Its hard to give you any suggestions since you are applying in 2 months. There is nothing you can do in 2 months. If you apply this cycle again, and you don't get in, you gotta stop applying and do something different (fulltime post-bacc or 1-2 year master program ~ Ofc if you've read my previous posts, I always suggest post-bacc if there are more undergrad upper level sciences to take)

all the best

Also - there are no red flags that I can think of. No disciplinary action or anything.

Ok - here's the science classes.. the other thing, early in my college career, I didn't know I wanted to be a dentist and I wasn't a good test taker so my grades are much better towards the end as you will be able to see.

Gen Biology BI-101..A
Into to Chem CH-104..B
Principles of biology BI-251..C+
Gen chem CH-221..B
Principles of Biology BI-252..C
Gen Chem II CH-222..C
Principles of Biology BI-253..C+
Gen Chem III CH-223..B
A&P..C
Elements of organic chem CH-331..B
" Lab..A-
A&P 302 ..B+
Elements of org chem II.. A
" Lab..A
A&P 303.. B
Biochem CH-350..C
Microbiology BI-480..B
General Physics PH-201.. A
Lab for above..A
Cell Biology BI-336..B+
Intro to genetics - BI-341..B
Gen physics PH-202..A-
Lab for above..A
Micro Biology Lab BI-488..A-
General pysics PH-203..A
Lab for above..A-
RES: Dental Microbes BI-401..A
Into Molecular Biology BI-338..A-
Histology BI-455..B+
Microbial Diversity BI-410..A
Neurophysiology BI-462..B
Evolution BI-358..B+
Xenobiology BI-410..A
RES: Childhood caries BI-501..A

And currently taking BI-417 Mammalian Physiology

Also - there are no red flags that I can think of. No disciplinary action or anything.

Ok - here's the science classes.. the other thing, early in my college career, I didn't know I wanted to be a dentist and I wasn't a good test taker so my grades are much better towards the end as you will be able to see.

Gen Biology BI-101..A
Into to Chem CH-104..B
Principles of biology BI-251..C+
Gen chem CH-221..B
Principles of Biology BI-252..C
Gen Chem II CH-222..C
Principles of Biology BI-253..C+
Gen Chem III CH-223..B
A&P..C
Elements of organic chem CH-331..B
" Lab..A-
A&P 302 ..B+
Elements of org chem II.. A
" Lab..A
A&P 303.. B
Biochem CH-350..C
Microbiology BI-480..B
General Physics PH-201.. A
Lab for above..A
Cell Biology BI-336..B+
Intro to genetics - BI-341..B
Gen physics PH-202..A-
Lab for above..A
Micro Biology Lab BI-488..A-
General pysics PH-203..A
Lab for above..A-
RES: Dental Microbes BI-401..A
Into Molecular Biology BI-338..A-
Histology BI-455..B+
Microbial Diversity BI-410..A
Neurophysiology BI-462..B
Evolution BI-358..B+
Xenobiology BI-410..A
RES: Childhood caries BI-501..A

And currently taking BI-417 Mammalian Physiology

It looks like your cumulative GPA is keeping you out of D-School.

What is your Science GPA in the last year or two, it looks like its improved quite a bit, am I correct? I think because you are a re applicant you should indicate your science GPA in the last year in your personal statement (maybe indicate how you have improved your app), also becuase your Total Science GPA is a little low your Application may just not be getting to the top of the list due to your low science GPA, maybe you should call the schools you apply to and tell them your situation, and emphasize that your science GPA in the past year is a lot better than it was earlier in your college career.

Also definitely apply to more schools, you should apply to 15-20 schools, make sure they are private schools.

I posted some statistics in a neat little sortable table, take a look!

Dental School Admission Statistics

Good Luck!

Jon

This is baffling to me. Look at all those classes with majority of A's and B's! Not to mention the diversity of classes that really set him apart as an applicant...dental microbes? childhood caries? Even if this person had a 2.0 prior to these classes, I feel like they've more than proven they can handle the dental school curriculum. I hope you get in this cycle, you deserve it.

This is baffling to me. Look at all those classes with majority of A's and B's! Not to mention the diversity of classes that really set him apart as an applicant...dental microbes? childhood caries? Even if this person had a 2.0 prior to these classes, I feel like they've more than proven they can handle the dental school curriculum. I hope you get in this cycle, you deserve it.

I agree. This is crazy, hes basically done with didactics of year 1 and some 2.

We'r all rooting for you pal... good luck this cycle

Hey, your grades are really impressive..could it be the fact that you're not taking a full course load?..I really don't know, I'm kinda new and just guessing..best of luck to you

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement. :D

I agree that your grades definitely trend upward. I'm not quite sure why you haven't been successful. Have you had a lot of interviews or only 1 or 2? Is there a way to call the schools that you were rejected from and ask them what you would be able to do in order to improve for next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like your cumulative GPA is keeping you out of D-School.

What is your Science GPA in the last year or two, it looks like its improved quite a bit, am I correct? I think because you are a re applicant you should indicate your science GPA in the last year in your personal statement (maybe indicate how you have improved your app), also becuase your Total Science GPA is a little low your Application may just not be getting to the top of the list due to your low science GPA, maybe you should call the schools you apply to and tell them your situation, and emphasize that your science GPA in the past year is a lot better than it was earlier in your college career.

Also definitely apply to more schools, you should apply to 15-20 schools, make sure they are private schools.

I posted some statistics in a neat little sortable table, take a look!

Dental School Admission Statistics

Good Luck!

Jon

Yes, my current science GPA is 3.2 (although OHSU takes out all + and - so with them, my GPA is 3.19 or something dumb which is just below their science GPA requirements -even though I've interviewed last two years with even lower!) And my overall GPA is 3.4.

I agree that your grades definitely trend upward. I'm not quite sure why you haven't been successful. Have you had a lot of interviews or only 1 or 2? Is there a way to call the schools that you were rejected from and ask them what you would be able to do in order to improve for next cycle?

For 2009, I only had 1 interview to OHSU
For 2010, I only had 1 interview to OHSU
For 2011, I only had 1 interview to USC, but still hoping with whatever small hope is left, that I will get an interview to OHSU since the just confirmed they are doing one more round through April and possibly May.

Yes, if I don't make it in this cycle, I definitely plan on calling the schools to see if I can find out what exactly it is they want. I may also decide to do a 1-year Master's program if I don't make it next year but I'm hoping with my schooling in the last year, it will be enough to boost me to get accepted if not now, then at least this coming cycle. I'm driving my wife nuts with the 'eternal student' aspect since she is working to support us while I go to school and we've been at this for 6 of our 8 years of marriage (4 years just on trying for dental schools).

Anyway, I'm going to take all of your suggestions to heart. I will apply to 15-20 schools, with the majority as private schools, ace the class I'm in right now since my time is short and I don't have the ability to quickly increase my GPA, call the schools and point out that my later classes have improved greatly in grades, get some new letters of recc, and hope for the best!!

Wouldn't it be great if next week I can post here and say "nevermind, it's all unnecessary, I got in to USC!! ;) I can only hope!
:xf::xf::xf:

For 2011, I only had 1 interview to USC, but still hoping with whatever small hope is left, that I will get an interview to OHSU since the just confirmed they are doing one more round through April and possibly May.

Yes, if I don't make it in this cycle, I definitely plan on calling the schools to see if I can find out what exactly it is they want. I may also decide to do a 1-year Master's program if I don't make it next year but I'm hoping with my schooling in the last year, it will be enough to boost me to get accepted if not now, then at least this coming cycle. I'm driving my wife nuts with the 'eternal student' aspect since she is working to support us while I go to school and we've been at this for 6 of our 8 years of marriage (4 years just on trying for dental schools).

Anyway, I'm going to take all of your suggestions to heart. I will apply to 15-20 schools, with the majority as private schools, ace the class I'm in right now since my time is short and I don't have the ability to quickly increase my GPA, call the schools and point out that my later classes have improved greatly in grades, get some new letters of recc, and hope for the best!!

Wouldn't it be great if next week I can post here and say "nevermind, it's all unnecessary, I got in to USC!! ;) I can only hope!

All the best

Huge upwards trend not to mention solid scores on the DAT. If you don't get in this cycle, I would solidify an acceptance next year by aiming for 22+ on the DAT with maybe a 17QR. ;) I know your scores are pretty good but you can raise your GC & OC!

Honestly, I wouldn't do the masters if you can get 21/22+ on the DAT. That will be enough to set you apart from the rest and upon closer inspection, they will really be amazed with your accomplishments. But that is just what I would do given the fourth year of reapplication. I would hate studying again for this test but you need to show that you can score better then all the other applicants. Goodluck!

Those stats are enough to get you into dental school. What I would focus on if I were you would be the personal statement, interviewing skills and selection of schools. Try applying to:

NYU, Howard, Meharry, Tufts, BU and Pitt. You should focus on establishing contacts at the schools that you're applying to as well. You have more than enough experience.

Last point, GET YOUR APPLICATION DONE IN JUNE!!! You know what's on there and what you need. There's no reason, other than money for you NOT to have it in early.

Those stats are enough to get you into dental school. What I would focus on if I were you would be the personal statement, interviewing skills and selection of schools. Try applying to:

NYU, Howard, Meharry, Tufts, BU and Pitt. You should focus on establishing contacts at the schools that you're applying to as well. You have more than enough experience.

Last point, GET YOUR APPLICATION DONE IN JUNE!!! You know what's on there and what you need. There's no reason, other than money for you NOT to have it in early.

I will definitely keep those schools on my apply to list. Thanks for listing those. What would you recommend for the personal statement? Is it a big no-no to post my personal statement here on the forum to have people evaluate and critique?? And I will for sure get my app done in June this year. :)

I will definitely keep those schools on my apply to list. Thanks for listing those. What would you recommend for the personal statement? Is it a big no-no to post my personal statement here on the forum to have people evaluate and critique?? And I will for sure get my app done in June this year. :)

no... don't post your personal statement (unless you feel like having it plagiarized).

But I recommend you personal message it to "doc toothache"... he does a great job reviewing them. He is a lil rough on the edges lol

Reactions: 1 user
no... don't post your personal statement (unless you feel like having it plagiarized).

But I recommend you personal message it to "doc toothache"... he does a great job reviewing them. He is a lil rough on the edges lol

Thanks for the tip! ;)

:thumbup:

usc is my last hope, so I hope you get into your other school! you deserve d-school a lot more than others I've met that got in.

Last edited:
:thumbup:

usc is my last hope, so I hope you get into your other school! you deserve d-school a lot more than others I've met that got in.

Thank you very much! I kind of have my heart set on USC - loved the atmosphere there more than OHSU but heck, I'll go wherever I get accepted. So best of luck to you too!:xf:

Dang, you have great stats like everyone has said. Work hard, save some extra money so you can apply to more schools. I applied to 20! It was a lot but it paid off. More schools will increase your odds for sure. Like the others said do some research prior to selecting the schools. Good Luck brotha!!!!!!

Damn, it seems like my situation might be worse than yours and I was also wondering what I should do from now on.

I also applied three times in the past 3 years. i graduated from a top 15 undergrad in the nation with a science GPA of 2.6 and overall gpa of 2.9. I was a non-science major but took a majority of science courses in undergrad.

This is a brief summary of my resume thus far

2009 cycle

Applied- December 2008
S. GPA- 2.6
O. GPA- 2.9
DAT- 20/20/20
Experience -Shadowing experience for a year

0 interview.

2010 Cycle

Applied- July 2009
S. GPA-2.6
O. GPA-2.9
DAT-20/20/20
--- I worked to gain more experience in the dental field. So I Worked as a dental assistant and had a tutoring job as well.

I did not get any interview invite.

2011 Cycle

Applied-July 2010

S. GPA-3.1
O. GPA-3.1
DAT-20/20/20
--- I took some upper division science courses at local state universities to bring up my gpa from 2.6 to 3.1. I, also started doing research at a dental school.

(All along I have been working as a dental assistant for about 30+ hours a week)

Once again, no interview invite.

So, essentially no interview invites in the past 3 years. I understand that my GPA is low and that probably is the reason that I haven't been able to get accepted.

It seems like there is no other options than to look into masters program and I have been applying to a couple masters program.

I did take DAT recently and received 22/22/23, but not sure if this will get me into dental school this year.

What do you guys think? Is masters program absolutely necessary for me to get into? Also will I be able to get into dental school with my current GPA and DAT score?

Thanks guys and Good luck TCN79!

Damn, it seems like my situation might be worse than yours and I was also wondering what I should do from now on.

I also applied three times in the past 3 years. i graduated from a top 15 undergrad in the nation with a science GPA of 2.6 and overall gpa of 2.9. I was a non-science major but took a majority of science courses in undergrad.

2009 cycle

Applied- December 2008
S. GPA- 2.6
O. GPA- 2.9
DAT- 20/20/20

0 interview.

2010 Cycle

Applied- July 2009
S. GPA-2.6
O. GPA-2.9
DAT-20/20/20
--- I worked to gain more experience in the dental field. So I Worked as a dental assistant and had a tutoring job as well.

2011 Cycle

Applied-July 2010

S. GPA-3.1
O. GPA-3.1
DAT-20/20/20
--- I took some upper division science courses at local state universities to bring up my gpa from 2.6 to 3.1. I, also started doing research at a dental school.

(All along I have been working as a dental assistant for about 30+ hours a week)

So, essentially no interview invites in the past 3 years. I understand that my GPA is low and that probably is the reason that I haven't been able to get accepted.

It seems like there is no other options than to look into masters program and I have been applying to a couple masters program.

I did take DAT recently and received 22/22/23, but not sure if this will get me into dental school this year.

What do you guys think? Is masters program absolutely necessary for me to get into? Also will I be able to get into dental school with my current GPA and DAT score?

I think you will deff get an invite this year. Your DAT scores are amazing, and your gpa is below avg, but your DAT score makes up for it, so apply to 15 or more schools, you will be fine.

2009 cycle

Applied- December 2008
S. GPA- 2.6
O. GPA- 2.9
DAT- 20/20/20

0 interview.

2010 Cycle

Applied- July 2009
S. GPA-2.6
O. GPA-2.9
DAT-20/20/20

2011 Cycle

Applied-July 2010

S. GPA-3.1
O. GPA-3.1
DAT-20/20/20

Thats a huge DAT score along with your 3.1/3.1... It might be enough to get you in somewhere. Instead of worrying about a masters program now, I'd apply to 20+ schools. By december if you don't hear anything, then you can look for masters.

I really think you have a shot this cycle.

all the best

This is my second year applying. I have been a dental assistant for 10 years (since I was 18). I really thought my experience, working full time and being a college student would impress dental schools especially since I had a young child during this time but I learned the hard way. I was told if I really wanted to be a dentist I would have committed less time to working and more to my education, possibly increasing my GPA.

Its my second year applying and I still don't have a clue what dental schools are looking for lol. I love dentistry! It's such an amazing field! I have assisted on sinus lifts, implants, all types of oral surgery, apicoectomies, and oral reconstructions, they don't care. My GPA and DAT score is average so I may retake the DAT?

This is my second year applying. I have been a dental assistant for 10 years (since I was 18). I really thought my experience, working full time and being a college student would impress dental schools especially since I had a young child during this time but I learned the hard way. I was told if I really wanted to be a dentist I would have committed less time to working and more to my education, possibly increasing my GPA.

Its my second year applying and I still don't have a clue what dental schools are looking for lol. I love dentistry! It's such an amazing field! I have assisted on sinus lifts, implants, all types of oral surgery, apicoectomies, and oral reconstructions, they don't care. My GPA and DAT score is average so I may retake the DAT?

what is your GPA and DAT like? when was the last college course you took?

With those stats it seems odd you didn't get in. Did you get any interviews? Did you apply late? did you apply to very many schools?

GPA 3.4 Science 3.3

DAT: AA: 19 TS: 19 PA: 20

Winter 2011 was my last term

Did you ever think to call or ask the schools about why you were rejected and what you could do to better your chances?

DO NOT BE NAIVE PEOPLE...

No amount of dental-related experience or letters of rec. will ever make up for a sub-par GPA or low DAT scores. Save yourselves a ton of blood, sweat, and tears trying to show your "passion" for dentistry. I guarantee you that if you improve your GPA/DAT... whether it is completing a post-bac or a science-based master's degree (and doing VERY WELL), you will land multiple interviews. It took me several application cycles to learn this, not to mention thousands and thousands of dollars spent on AADSAS/secondaries/etc...

scroll down to the section about the journey to dental school....

http://whitecoatdds.blogspot.com/

Did you ever think to call or ask the schools about why you were rejected and what you could do to better your chances?

I did apply late, August. I did 2 years full time and 2.5 years 3/4 time. I tried to prove myself by taking 16 credits while working full time but? I had one interview and am an alternate. Most schools stated my stats were not high enough for an out of state applicant but one school stated that 2 years at full was not enough for them to believe I could handle 4 years of dental school. I have June 1st off from work just in case I need to re-apply :(

I did apply late, August. I did 2 years full time and 2.5 years 3/4 time. I tried to prove myself by taking 16 credits while working full time but? I had one interview and am an alternate. Most schools stated my stats were not high enough for an out of state applicant but one school stated that 2 years at full was not enough for them to believe I could handle 4 years of dental school. I have June 1st off from work just in case I need to re-apply :(

You don't really need to take June 1st off. You don't have to apply on the first day to be "early" or even in the first batch.

GPA 3.4 Science 3.3

DAT: AA: 19 TS: 19 PA: 20

Winter 2011 was my last term

your stats aren't bad. Are you picking your schools wisely? Can you tell us which schools you applied to?

how did you do in the 16-credit term?

DO NOT BE NAIVE PEOPLE...

No amount of dental-related experience or letters of rec. will ever make up for a sub-par GPA or low DAT scores. Save yourselves a ton of blood, sweat, and tears trying to show your "passion" for dentistry. I guarantee you that if you improve your GPA/DAT... whether it is completing a post-bac or a science-based master's degree (and doing VERY WELL), you will land multiple interviews. It took me several application cycles to learn this, not to mention thousands and thousands of dollars spent on AADSAS/secondaries/etc...

scroll down to the section about the journey to dental school....

http://whitecoatdds.blogspot.com/

Exactly

I am in the same boat as a few others in this thread. This was my third time applying. I have done everything I thought possible to improve my application. Research internship with the ADA, shadowing many dentists, working at a dental office, dental clinic volunteer, and many other volunteer experiences. All of these IMO look good on an application but dont mean much if your GPA and DAT are still mediocre.

I completed a bio masters, and did not retake the DAT for this cycle (mistake), my third application cycle.....3 interviews later, still no acceptances, just some waitlist spots.

So now my third and final time at taking the DAT is getting all of my attention this summer.

Admissions is a numbers game and even though I dread studying and taking the DAT again, its necessary because no experience will ever take place of mediocre DAT/GPA

Hey, your grades are really impressive..could it be the fact that you're not taking a full course load?..I really don't know, I'm kinda new and just guessing..best of luck to you

I think it may be this since GPA/DAT seem decent. OP's been doing well in his classes but he's only taking 2 per semester. Maybe the adcoms want to see that he can take a full course load and still maintain those A/B's (since that's what we'd be doing in dschool).

Exactly

I am in the same boat as a few others in this thread. This was my third time applying. I have done everything I thought possible to improve my application. Research internship with the ADA, shadowing many dentists, working at a dental office, dental clinic volunteer, and many other volunteer experiences. All of these IMO look good on an application but dont mean much if your GPA and DAT are still mediocre.

I completed a bio masters, and did not retake the DAT for this cycle (mistake), my third application cycle.....3 interviews later, still no acceptances, just some waitlist spots.

So now my third and final time at taking the DAT is getting all of my attention this summer.

Admissions is a numbers game and even though I dread studying and taking the DAT again, its necessary because no experience will ever take place of mediocre DAT/GPA

That's great that you completed your M.S. degree... don't worry about shadowing, working at a dental office, doing research, etc... you've done it all, so for your own good... strictly focus on your DATs day in a day out. A solid score of 20+ in every section and your gold!!!

You are 100% right, dental admissions is nothing more than a numbers game. If you don't have a solid science GPA and solid DAT scores, you won't even make the first cut at many schools regardless of whether you've worked as a certified dental assistant for the past 10 years and helped research the latest breakthrough in dental biomaterials.

please tell me that you were accepted.

He got into Roseman, Tufts, and Western. He ended up attending Roseman.

Reactions: 4 users
congratulations OP. that is one persistent and relentless effort you put in. I am truly glad you got in. you deserve it!

for future applicants, just focus on your GPA/DAT. and 100 hours dental shadowing is all you need. Worse, if you feel that is not good enough, spend 6 months to volunteer to crank out near 1000 hours volunteer. IMHO, this route is much better than do it all and have low GPA/DAT that take years to fix.