Possibly stupid GPA question from a Candian...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinSauve

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am graduating from a very good Candian School this year in a program akin to pre-med. I am attending the Columbia Institute of Nutrition masters program nextyear which I am excited about, however I want to apply to med school this year soafter I'm done the 1 yr program I can go straight in. Question: when American schools look at 'GPA' (which I have no idea how AMCAS calculates) do medical schoolslook at all years equally? In Canada they definitely do not. My freshman and soph year were very medicore - then a HUGE upward trend. Does this help my chances? Solid extra curriculars + MCAT p-10 V-12 B-11 W-R.
THANKS for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice MCAT score. The answer to your question is a murky yes-and-no. Medical schools will look at all semesters (AMCAS gives an overall cumulative GPA and breaks it down by semester/BCPM/grad school/post-bacc, etc.). An upward trend is important after a difficult spot in school. With a 33R MCAT, if your cumulative (including ALL undergrad courses) GPA is still 3.2-3.4, you should get a look by a lot of schools. Keep that BCPM GPA up. Not to worry.

As for how AMCAS calculates your GPAs, take a look at the AMCAS GPA Conversion Guide and the AMCAS Applicant Instruction Guide.

Best of luck,
-z

We do it so differently in Canada. And I straight up love your profile pic.

It's too bad they look at everything though...I didnt even decide on meds until 2nd year.