post acceptance pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confessabear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
So I am looking for some advice on what to do after being accepted into pharmacy school C/O 2018, which doesn't start till August. I know I should probably enjoy the last few months of free time I have, but frankly, I feel I should be doing something career worthy. Currently I am continuing to volunteer at my hospital and hope to find a job soon. Should I be doing something else? I am thinking of getting a pharm tech license, but is it worth the money, or should I wait for my intern license? Opinions are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi!
So I am looking for some advice on what to do after being accepted into pharmacy school C/O 2018, which doesn't start till August. I know I should probably enjoy the last few months of free time I have, but frankly I feel I should be doing something career worthy. Currently I am continuing to volunteer at my hospital and hope to find a job soon. Should I be doing something else? I am thinking of getting a pharm tech license, but is it worth it the money, or should I wait for my intern license? Opinions are greatly appreciated!
First off congratulations on your acceptance! If you have any classes you need to take for either your prereqs or for a degree, then I would do that. I would also recommend becoming Pharm tech certified and try and get a job somewhere. This could help you land a job after pharmacy school. Best of luck

Concerning getting a Pharmacy Technician license and the cost.. if you can find a job as a pharmacy technician, your job may pay for you to take the exam to become licensed. I work as a pharmacy technician right now. Walked in with zero prior experience and they told me if I wanted to get licensed I could and they offered to pay for the exam if I passed. Just thought I'd pass that along :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
So I am looking for some advice on what to do after being accepted into pharmacy school C/O 2018, which doesn't start till August. I know I should probably enjoy the last few months of free time I have, but frankly, I feel I should be doing something career worthy. Currently I am continuing to volunteer at my hospital and hope to find a job soon. Should I be doing something else? I am thinking of getting a pharm tech license, but is it worth the money, or should I wait for my intern license? Opinions are greatly appreciated!
Really not worth it to get a tech license at this point. Because you know you WILL get an intern license anyway. Plus, you have a pretty long wait (2, 3 months I think) after the test to process all the paperwork and waiting for your license to be confirmed. + The cost is just not worth it in general. Just get a part-time/full-time job doing something else, then you can get started right away and make money rather than having to wait on your license.

Step 1: Begin exploring opportunities at your school of choice
Why on earth would you spend all this time trying to get into pharmacy school... and then wait for it to be spoonfed to you at orientation? Life comes to those who have the ambition to seek it. If you know you are likely to seek a post-graduate residency, reach out to faculty to learn about opportunities for research. Every school has choice faculty who are a "big name" or "hot shot". Getting into that research is competitive. Or maybe you want to get into industry or the FDA. Get in touch with the right people early.
Step 2: Try to identify a mentor
A mentor is not an adviser. If you don't know the difference, its time you find out why the difference matters. Everyone with ambition seeking to be more than the run of the mill pharmacist needs a mentor. Mentors will bring out the best in you not by prescribing what to do but by offering opportunities for you to discover how to bring out the best in yourself.
Step 3: Get a jump start on school
Put down the Cosmo or Maxim. Stop wasting money on beer. You don't need to cram for pharmacy school, but getting a leg up on the competition means that you will have more free time during your first year of pharmacy school. That extra free time will prove invaluable as you make good on opportunities presented to you early. Often, a mistake many students make is to wait a year or two into school before finding opportunities for leadership/research/etc. If you are unburdened by school, you have all the time to find and seize on those opportunities your first year. You can resume drinking beer at that time. And if you did it right in all three steps, starting day one, you'll be drinking beer with your mentor, faculty, and dean.

And ignore everyone who says "chill". PharmDs are now a dime a dozen. In this market, you have to define yourself early. Just remember when they said chill while you acted. Four years from now, you will have a job/residency/fellowship and they will return to this website and whine about the sorry state of the job market.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi!

If you can afford it, goof off. Think about it, you'll be working your ass off for the rest of school. And after school? You'll be working your ass off at your job. Take a rest, a brief respite and enjoy yourself...

It is up to you, and what school you are going to. If you are thinking about getting an intern job while in pharm school, I highly recommend getting some pharm tech experience to get your foot in the door. Some states/cities/places are so competitive getting a pharmacy intern job that the people that usually get them are those that have had prior pharm tech experience or worked in the corporation before. During my last interview we talked to 1st and 2nd year students and many of them did not/could not find a pharmacy intern job. The only one that did have the job worked at Walmart as a pharm tech before getting hired as an intern.