Post Bac Admissions Directors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuriousStar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I was wondering if anyone has ever contacted a post bac programs admissions director whether it be to talk about what can make you a better applicant to the program or for more information and how this conversation was received by the director.

Also does it help to build a rapport?

Members don't see this ad.

well that's what they are there for - to answer your questions & it's probably the best source of information you have other than current students in the program when you are researching which types of programs and specific schools that would fit your needs. overall, they're pretty receptive and happy to answer your questions...at least the ones i've talked to. as far as building a rapport with them, i'm not sure since they still look at your entire application before making a decision. of course, talking via phone, email or in person couldn't hurt. it only helps, in my opinion.

Hello...I was wondering if anyone has ever contacted a post bac programs admissions director whether it be to talk about what can make you a better applicant to the program or for more information and how this conversation was received by the director.

Also does it help to build a rapport?

If they have the time, and are willing to talk to you then why not? I agree with the person above, it doesn't hurt to talk to them, but I doubt it will help much. The post-baccs over here admit people in a similar fashion as med school admissions (e.g., an admissions committee). So knowing one person, regardless of their rank has limited value in the grand scheme of things.

I talked to our director of admissions who also serves as the post-bacc director. He was very helpful and provided me with alternative routes since I wouldn't qualify for our post-bacc program (not socio- or economically challenged..blah blah). But he was helpful nonetheless. He actually also serves on the med school admissions committee, but there's just so many of them that it doesn't really mean much to me other than that his information is straight from the horses mouth;).

If they have the time, and are willing to talk to you then why not? I agree with the person above, it doesn't hurt to talk to them, but I doubt it will help much. The post-baccs over here admit people in a similar fashion as med school admissions (e.g., an admissions committee). So knowing one person, regardless of their rank has limited value in the grand scheme of things.

I talked to our director of admissions who also serves as the post-bacc director. He was very helpful and provided me with alternative routes since I wouldn't qualify for our post-bacc program (not socio- or economically challenged..blah blah). But he was helpful nonetheless. He actually also serves on the med school admissions committee, but there's just so many of them that it doesn't really mean much to me other than that his information is straight from the horses mouth;).

This is true, although I think building a rapport with admissions people is a good thing in general. As relentless said, a lot of the time it ends up not mattering. There are some cases where the admissions people really want to admit someone but cannot because the other candidates are simply better, even though they really like the person. It's unfortunate but it's life.