post-bac advice -- attempt 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onesipatatimeee

Reaction score
Hello,

I am an URM who graduated in 2018 from an ivy with a 2.65 gpa and a sgpa of probably 2.0. Throughout college I worked 2-3 jobs while taking classes full time as well as overexerting myself in extracurriculars (TONS of service, and leadership, and overseas trips). I also dealt with a lot of mental health issues and didn't have the funds to work on them until my junior year. Junior and Senior year I had an upward trend but wasn't taking pre-med classes due to choosing to do a post-bacc early my junior year after a summer of orgo 1 and orgo 2 (wouldn't reccomend).

My first year of post-bacc i set myself up for failure and took 3 courses while working 3 part time jobs, which led me to getting C's in Physics 1 and Chem 1 (retake), and a D in Bio 2. I quit one of my jobs and signed up for a little less in the spring and took Chem 2, Phys 2, and Physics lab. I couldnt afford to do this as I was not only stressed about paying to live, but stressed to make my monthly payments for school. I ended up getting D's in Chem 2 (retake), Phys 2, and a B+ in Physics Lab.

I took this summer off to do some introspection and figure out what I want. I've realized I have terrible time management skills in the sense that I overcommit myself to too many things and people. I thought about pursuing an MPH and changing gears all together but in my heart its medicine that I want to do. I've re-evaluated and I'm starting to think of a plan which I need advice on.

1. I need to retake courses I have gotten D's in -- is this a must? (chem 2, bio 2, phys 2, orgo 2)
2. I need to complete pre - reqs -- biochem, and orgo lab
3. I need to MCAT Prep -- will not do until pre-reqs completed and given myself at least 3-4 months of intense study
4. I need to take upper level science courses to show that I am not who I used to be and I am capable of performing at a higher level.

I have just gotten a new job that will help keep my finances in check (Project Coordinator for School of Medicine) as well as will pay for me to take classes at the undergrad institution. In addition to this, I work for prominent doctors who told me I can work anywhere from 25-37.5hours a week. I told myself i will not sign up for a class until I have all the funds to take it, as well as enough $$ to cover 2-3 months of rent. I've also been going to therapy and taking care of my physical health a lot more.

This is my plan

Fall 2019 -- retake bio 2
Spring 2020 -- retake chem 2 and bio lab [only if I get an A in bio 2] OR take biochem and bio lab
Summer 2021 -- retake orgo 2
fall 2020 -- retake chem 2 and phys 2 OR take upper levels such as immunology

Should I focus on retaking classes or only retake a few and then take upper level courses? I am in no rush and I know this will be a process. Ideally I'd love to apply Summer 2021 to either DO/MD or SMP's. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I need to retake courses I have gotten D's in -- is this a must? (chem 2, bio 2, phys 2, orgo 2)
2. I need to complete pre - reqs -- biochem, and orgo lab

Yes, you have to retake any prerequisite class in which you received a C- or less. A grade of C- or less in a prerequisite class will not be accepted by medical schools.

Yes, complete your prerequisites. Many medical schools also require English and/or writing intensive classes as well as a certain number of credits of social science and/or humanities.

Reactions: 1 users
My honest thoughts:
- Looking through your story, you've proven twice now that you were academically unprepared and had poor decision-making (overloading yourself during undergrad and post-bac). It's good that you recognize this now and are trying to address these flaws; however, it will take more than two years of good performance in my opinion before your prior academic track record would be overlooked.
- Your best bet would be to retake the courses you did poorly in while also taking upper division courses, and then apply to an SMP once you meet their minimum GPA (typically around 3.0), or alternatively to DO schools if you can build up an adequate track record of good and sustained academic performance and otherwise competitive application.
- In addition to simply getting good grades, you also need to prove that you can handle a rigorous course load. Just retaking one or two classes per quarter does not inspire much confidence. If you plan on going the SMP route, I would advise asking their admissions team now what their expectations for grades and course load would be in order for you to eventually gain acceptance.
- Keep in mind that if you do take a heavier course load, you may need to pare down on the number of hours that you're working in order to avoid a repeat of your undergrad and first post-bac experience.
- Your path to medical school will likely take few to several years.
- I would also advise thinking about alternative career options as well. What attracts you to medicine? Can other careers in healthcare fill those roles? Consider professions such as PA, RN, PT/OT, SW/CM, etc. Best of luck to you. As you know, this will be a tough road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want something then you’ll make it happen if not then you’ll make an excuse. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
If you really want something then you’ll make it happen if not then you’ll make an excuse. Good luck
Reminds me of a quote by Randy Pausch in "The Last Lecture":
"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people."

Highly recommended for everyone to watch. Truly heart-breaking and inspiring.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to do Peds, as your name suggests, look at PA or NP school. You literally have the same patient care with less of the MD BS and still make a great living.