Post Bac courses lead to a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any post-bac courses that lead to a career in that program? Due to financial and family reasons I need to find a program that will increase my grades, but as well will lead me to some sort of career.

Can someone also tell me what the difference between taking an SMP towards going into medicine, or getting a Masters degree in some other field that can potentially lead to a career?

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone also tell me what the difference between taking an SMP towards going into medicine, or getting a Masters degree in some other field that can potentially lead to a career?
You could always do research ... other than that I'm not exactly sure what possibilities you have. You could intergrate your past life into it I'm sure. I'm thinking lab positions or administrative work. Depends on your past life :) :luck:

That is a good question though

Funny that this topic came up; I work in clinical research, and I just worked on auditing the job descriptions my company uses.

Most jobs in clinical research demand a degree in a "biological science". You could use the degree from a SMP to meet this qualification. It could really change your career if you got into a SMP without majoring in a biological science.

Other notes: A "special" masters or a regular MA in bio (which most people with a masters in my company seem to have) hold the same weight in terms of career advancement. The degree mattered far more than any specific course. The statisticians will have at least a masters in biostats, of course, and that can definately lead to a career. The one guy who stuck out was an English major at Penn, got a masters in HR, decided he didn't like that, got a second masters in applied biostats, and is now doing quite well.

HTH.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoam said:
Are there any post-bac courses that lead to a career in that program? Due to financial and family reasons I need to find a program that will increase my grades, but as well will lead me to some sort of career.

Hopefully, your career goal from the post-bac program is to get into medical school! I'm assuming you are looking for a program that will give you a good credential, in case you end up not applying or getting into medical school?

The main difference between a masters in something like biology and a SMP is that the SMP tends to be shorter and focused on an intense year of classes, often with medical students. If you get a standard masters in a science, you usually will be able to get better jobs in research or in education/teaching than without a masters. The standard programs are usually 2 years and often have an emphasis on research or course work in research methods. Some people believe that because of this the standard masters are not as strong to improve your med school application, and likewise the SMP's are not as strong to use to get into advanced careers in research/teaching. When I was looking at various postbac programs, I noticed that UMDNJ, NYMC, and SUNY-Buffalo all mention that their programs are not solely for people trying to get into medical school (some people get jobs in research or go onto PhD programs), you may want to look at them.

There are post-baccs that don't focus on you getting into medical school. Those usually lead to a masters or they prepare you for attaining a Ph.D . Not everyone that completes a post-bacc will get into medical school. I know Baylor has one. The deadline has passed.