XOT

5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all,

I am considering doing a final post-bac. semester of upper-level sciences. I have a complicated academic history--Briefly, in my first UG school (4 total years of classes) I received many C's, and D's and some F's in science courses. At my second UG school, where I graduated, I took mostly science courses (retaking all prereq. I took at my 1st UG) and received A's and B's.

My dilemma now is how I should spend this final post-bac semester. I looked at it from many angles and contemplated all my options--

First option:

Take 16 credits of upper level sciences (C/M Bio, Cancer, Pharm, Neurosci, and medical virology) in one semester at my current UG. If I am able to receive all A's, it would most likely be a positive sign of my medical school capabilities.

Second option:

Take 10 credits of upper level science courses at my current UG, and meanwhile enroll in a 4 credit embryology class I received an F in at my first UG school. The pros of this option is that it will raise my AACOMA GPA.

From an ADCOM perspective (whether for SMP, DO, or whatever) what would look the best: 16 credits of an extremely tough semester on one transcript (raising my cGPA at this school alone to 3.4) OR 10 credits at one institute and another 4 credits at another institute? I am just trying to look at this situation from an ADCOM viewpoint to make a decision. ANY SUGGESTIONS :)

Also, do you think it is possible to do the 16 cred. semester mentioned above?

Thanks,
Mark

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I vote option #2. School-specific GPA isn't going to matter - adcoms will never see a school's reporting of your GPA - they'll only see cumulative GPA, year-by-year GPA, and your course list. A semester of stellar performance won't get highlighted at all.

That said, do whatever gets you A's.

Best of luck to you.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Agreed. I'd retake the F if you can. Esp. since embryo is a medical school course as well.

OP
X

XOT

5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I understand your perspective, DrMidlife. Yet, I am pretty sure that for SMP's I will not send an actual ACMAS transcript, but rather all transcripts from schools previously attended. Therefore, I remain hopeful that any ADCOM (from SMP) will focus more on my recent transcript from the school I graduated from. This is why I am leaning towards the first option.

Like I mentioned, I think taking the embryo class will help my AACOMA a lot more than it will help my ACMAS. Also, what do you think of a LOR from the professor that will teach me embyro. Although he is not the same proff. that I had about 7 yrs ago, it is from the same school. Could a strong LOR be a strong indication of my academic maturity?

Isoprop, I understand that embryo is a medical school course, but I have taken and will take many medical school courses (pathophys, immun, biochem, cancer, C/M Bio, etc.). Is that F in embryo still a setback?

THANKS ALL FOR THE INPUT

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I vote 2 as well.

Not sure you'll do well in 16 credits of upper level sciences based on the info you've shared so far. Better to slim it down and ensure you get better grades.