Post-bac for someone with a some science coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wtn1215

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the recommendation in terms of a post-bac program for someone who has a few courses of science from college?

I took one semester each of general chemistry, organic chemistry, and molecular biology in undergrad, but by the time I apply for a post-bac program, it will have been 7 years since I took any of these courses. Ideally, I would like to take organic chemistry and molecular biology again since it has been so long.

Any recommendations for particular schools/programs that will take someone with a scattering of science course from several years back? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you can make a strong case for starting over. Seven years is a long time. Do you even remember any of the subject matter?

Whether you got As or Cs on those subjects is just a matter of spinning things the right way in your application ("I've forgotten the material" vs "I can do much better"). All other things being equal (e.g. a compelling story), I'm pretty sure that structured programs like Goucher will be happy to look at you for a fresh start.

Even with the gap you're a good candidate for postbacc study. Look into WashU, UC Berkeley and Harvard Extensions at least. You'll want to plan to talk to someone in the office of the programs you want to apply to as well. Just explain your situation honestly with them and they can help you out a lot.

I'd check into Goucher, UPenn, Hopkins, Bryn Mawr and Scripps too, couldn't hurt!
A thing they'd consider also is your GPA from the period when you took those science courses, how'd you fare then?

I just finished at Scripps and there were multiple people with varying amount of science coursework done. Most of them had only 1 or 2 courses done which allowed them to take other pertinent classes (genetics, biochem, etc). Because it has been so long, I would highly recommend retaking the classes anyways, if only to reestablish the solid foundation you will need for the MCAT. Good luck!