Post Bac GPA Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a post bac program for 2010-2011 to DO/MD schools. I am confused about the GPA. I will graduate with a 3.6 GPA from the University of Pittsburgh. Will my post-bac grades be factored into my undergraduate GPA?

So basically it is like a fifth year of undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you apply for DO programs thru AMCAS as well?
What exactly is the application process?
I am thinking of doing the same this summer. Many people say that MD is better than DO?
But I just want to be a physician no matter what and most patients do not really know the difference between the two degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply for DO programs thru AMCAS as well?

You apply to DO schools through AACOMAS, and MD schools with AMCAS.

What exactly is the application process?

Submit primary when website application opens up, submit secondaries ASAP after you receive them, interview if you are lucky, attend school if you get accepted.

I am thinking of doing the same this summer. Many people say that MD is better than DO? :rolleyes:
But I just want to be a physician no matter what and most patients do not really know the difference between the two degrees.

Then apply to both DO and MD schools.

No, I applied through the individual schools for MD and DO post bac. I really don't think I need to do a post-bac for my grades since I have a 3.6, but I need to be an active student to keep my health insurance.

I'm not hung up on the whole MD vs. DO thing either. So I could careless if I get into either one. As long as I get in somewhere!

If I do a DO post bac will limit me to a DO program? I don't really care, but I don't want to waste my money applying to a few PA MD schools through AMCAS.

If I do a DO post bac will limit me to a DO program? I don't really care, but I don't want to waste my money applying to a few PA MD schools through AMCAS.

Probably.

Does anyone know if you take a graduate course as a non-degree seeking graduate student, what subsection GPA it counts for? PB or GR??

Apparently I am listed as a graduate student but not in a degree program at a new institution bc I have a BS. I looked on AMCAS rules and it is not defined.

Does anyone know if you take a graduate course as a non-degree seeking graduate student, what subsection GPA it counts for? PB or GR??

Apparently I am listed as a graduate student but not in a degree program at a new institution bc I have a BS. I looked on AMCAS rules and it is not defined.

A graduate level course will give you graduate level credit and therefore go on the gradGPA section. If it was a middle ground course where both undergrads and graduates could take it for either type of credit, it might be different. But since they labeled you a graduate student you would most likely still be granted graduate credit.

If you take graduate level courses they go under grad gpa on the amcas. On the aacomas they factor into your cumulative gpa. (I did a graduate program so I am 100 percent sure). And what DO post bacc are you looking into? And I highly doubt this would limit you to DO schools only unless it was some sort of cooperative program.

I applied to LECOM and PCOM for DO. I'm debating whether to apply to the new school in Scranton and I applied to Drexel. I have a 3.6, and my premed advisor at pitt told me not to do a post bac because those students have much lower GPA's. I have a heart problem that is minor, but I have to see the cardiologist regulary and have yearly CT scans. So being without health insurance isn't a option. So it looks like I'm forced to a post bac program.

Just pointing out the obvious here... you could get a job with health insurance benefits for this next year and earn some money while continuing with your med. school related volunteer work on the weekends or at night.

Alternatively you could spend the next year twiddling your thumbs and remain on your parents' health insurance until you turn 26 as per the new health care legislation.

But seriously, is SDN the best place to find these answers? Close the laptop and start making some phone calls to your insurance co., etc and get some real answers!

I can't believe someone would consider wasting thousands of dollars taking meaningless classes to avoid getting a job! When do people finally grow up these days?!

First off with a congenital heart defect many insurance companies will not insure a preexisting condition. Even if they did the premiums would be so I could not afford them with working with a BS degree. What kind of good paying job would you get with a BS? One would need at least a masters to work at the university level.

I asked about GPA and post bac. Nothing was said about getting a job. Your posts were irrelevant to the discussion.

First off with a congenital heart defect many insurance companies will not insure a preexisting condition. Even if they did the premiums would be so I could not afford them with working with a BS degree. What kind of good paying job would you get with a BS? One would need at least a masters to work at the university level.

I asked about GPA and post bac. Nothing was said about getting a job. Your posts were irrelevant to the discussion.

You're silly. group health insurance through an employer has no pre-existing condition exclusions. Most group health insurance premiums are very affordable with a BS. I afford them just fine with my AA :thumbup: