Post-Bac GPA vs. Undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has this info, or if it might be wiser to post it in the pre-allo forum, but does anyone out there know which med schools look at post-bac gpa separately from undergrad gpa and which schools just lump it all together?

I know that certain schools pay closer attention to a post-bac gpa since amcas splits it up, but several schools are only concerned with the total numbers.

I was hoping maybe we could get a list going of which schools consider post-bac gpa separately.

Members don't see this ad.

jbrice1639 said:
I'm not sure if anyone has this info, or if it might be wiser to post it in the pre-allo forum, but does anyone out there know which med schools look at post-bac gpa separately from undergrad gpa and which schools just lump it all together?

I know that certain schools pay closer attention to a post-bac gpa since amcas splits it up, but several schools are only concerned with the total numbers.

I was hoping maybe we could get a list going of which schools consider post-bac gpa separately.

I have a hunch that the answer is really that all schools consider it seperately AND none of the schools consider it seperately. Meaning, schools generally want to see a bottom line combined undergrad GPA, but will often take into account a show of improvement in later years, will take into account if you did poorly at one point in your life but then came back to science later in life and cranked, and so on. I would be surprised if anyone could put together a list and say -- X, Y and Z school only care about the bottom line number while A, B and C will only look at postbac grades -- it just doesn't work that way. Bottom line -- if you did poorly in undergrad, you can rehabilitate your credentials with postbac study. If you did really poorly you may need to do substantial postbac studies, and perhaps even follow it up with a masters or SMP (or in some cases if the undergrad GPA is not "so bad", can go to a SMP directly). How much postbac study is required is simply not a hard and fast rule and depends on not only what kind of undergrad GPA you need to overcome, but the number of years out you are, what your other credentials are, etc. Murky, I know, but I hope that helps.

I was able to play "ADCOM" for a day at a conference a few weeks ago. GPA was broken out by regular and just science classes by year: FR, SO, JR, SR, Post Bacc, Grad

We we looked we were told to look at the distance from college and improvement shown. Granted this was a DO school as they have been known to be "friendlier" to the non-traditional med student. But I was told by 2 schools elsewise that as long as you do well in post-bacc, couple that with a strong MCAT and you have a good chance of admissions.

:luck: Mushy