Post Bac Help??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MtnMama

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to Post Bac Programs to start this upcoming summer 2006, as i am currently a volunteer overseas and will be finishing up my contract this May. I have gotten into Agnes Scott College (Atlanta), NYU, and will complete a phone interview with Bennington College this week, and waiting for a reply from Drexel. I have also received a denial from Bryn Mawr--with a hand written letter from the director to take a yr of chemistry (as i have no science background from undergrad) and send just that grade info and teacher recommendation back to Bryn Mawr for a re-application for the following year (summer 2007). so my dilemma: do i take a chemistry this summer (i can finish both chem I and II this summer at my undergrad uni), hopefully get A's and then pray to get into the Bryn Mawr program the following year (setting me back one full year when i could already be finished with one of the other programs) OR do i start one of the other programs this summer?? The biggest plus for me to wait and give Bryn Mawr a go: I do not have a stellar undergrad GPA (in marketing and env studies), so a highly recognized post bac program may be what i need for med school admission. HELP. ADVICE NEEDED.
cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

I am at currently attending NYU's post-bacc program so if you have any questions about that program I am more than happy to share my experience. Bryn Mawr has a great program too! NYU's program is great but it is a huge school and you may not get as much academic support as your would from Bryn Mawr. I know that if you get A's in all classes at NYU your chances of getting into a great medical school in very high. Also the classes at NYU prepare you very well for the MCAT (from what others have told me). NYU's program is very intense, you have to be willing to give up most of your social life, but if you can do well in the program you have just as good of a shot at getting into a good medical school as you would have a Bryn Mawr. Hope that helps a little. If you have any questions specifically about NYU I am happy to help.
Katie

MtnMama said:
I am currently applying to Post Bac Programs to start this upcoming summer 2006, as i am currently a volunteer overseas and will be finishing up my contract this May. I have gotten into Agnes Scott College (Atlanta), NYU, and will complete a phone interview with Bennington College this week, and waiting for a reply from Drexel. I have also received a denial from Bryn Mawr--with a hand written letter from the director to take a yr of chemistry (as i have no science background from undergrad) and send just that grade info and teacher recommendation back to Bryn Mawr for a re-application for the following year (summer 2007). so my dilemma: do i take a chemistry this summer (i can finish both chem I and II this summer at my undergrad uni), hopefully get A's and then pray to get into the Bryn Mawr program the following year (setting me back one full year when i could already be finished with one of the other programs) OR do i start one of the other programs this summer?? The biggest plus for me to wait and give Bryn Mawr a go: I do not have a stellar undergrad GPA (in marketing and env studies), so a highly recognized post bac program may be what i need for med school admission. HELP. ADVICE NEEDED.
cheers.

I am in the post-bacc program at UPenn and I absolutely love it!!!!!!! It is highly organized and the classes are great! Plus if you complete all of your pre-reqs here you are eligible for linkage programs to Jefferson, GW, Pitt, and one more but I do not remember. I would definitely look into coming here.

good luck!

MtnMama -- why did Bryn Mawr instruct you to take a year of chemistry before reapplying? My understanding of the program is that they are looking for applicants without an undergraduate background in science. Was it because your undergrad GPA raised concerns?