moneduloides

Corvus
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Many you may have seen SDN's Allopathic Medical School Interview Feedback page, and if you haven't you should check it out (A wealth of information, for free, should not go to waste!). While I was perusing this very page this morning it occurred to me that something like this might be of use to individuals applying to post-baccalaureate programs. Of course, the demand for such a page isn't nearly as high as the demand is for the same information with respect to medical schools, but I am here to ask if any of you are interested. So, are you?

Even if this does become a reality, it wouldn't be of any use to me (I will have already gone through the process by that time), but I am certainly willing to pass on my experience. If I see some interest I will try to point some of the mods/admins toward the thread for consideration of the project.

Of course, if this already exists and I haven't been able to find it then completely ignore this thread and pretend I am invisible.

NewmansOwn

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think it's a good idea. Postbac programs are notoriously closed-lipped about their admissions process and about program details. For those of us who are willing to step up and offer help, there ought to be a place to do so. I get lots of PMs from folks anyway, which I always welcome, but a formal thread would foster fruitful discussion, I think.

About the Ads

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Many you may have seen SDN's Allopathic Medical School Interview Feedback page, and if you haven't you should check it out (A wealth of information, for free, should not go to waste!). While I was perusing this very page this morning it occurred to me that something like this might be of use to individuals applying to post-baccalaureate programs. Of course, the demand for such a page isn't nearly as high as the demand is for the same information with respect to medical schools, but I am here to ask if any of you are interested. So, are you?

Even if this does become a reality, it wouldn't be of any use to me (I will have already gone through the process by that time), but I am certainly willing to pass on my experience. If I see some interest I will try to point some of the mods/admins toward the thread for consideration of the project.

Of course, if this already exists and I haven't been able to find it then completely ignore this thread and pretend I am invisible.

I think that's a fantastic idea.

drj611

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

This thread seems like an excellent idea. I am currently in my final year of my undergrad, pursuing and BS in Finance with a 3.8 GPA (there's a catch, which I will discuss later).

After taking a couple basic bio and chem courses (human bio, not bio I), I started to get really passionate about medicine. I began reading whatever medical literature I could get my hands on, volunteering 20 hrs/week as an EMT (in the process of certification), and seeking shadowing and hospital volunteering opportunities as well. Throughout these experiences, I decided that I want to become a physician.

Since I have not taken my required sciences, I am planning on applying to post-bacc programs soon. With a 3.8 GPA, I shouldn't have a problem with admission into these programs, however my overall GPA is not a 3.8. I transferred from a small school, which I attended for 2 years and earned a meager 2.0 GPA.

I have taken more credits with a 3.8 than with my 2.0 (about a 3:2 ratio), so according to my calculations, my overall GPA is 3.02.

So far, I've been looking at Columbia, Tufts, BU, Drexel, Harvard Ext., and UConn. Please rank these in order of quality of programs and selectivity.

Also, if anyone could shed some light onto my situation so that I may better decide where to apply, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

moneduloides

Corvus
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I appreciate the words of support, but you've done well to send this thread off its tracks. Try using the search function or beginning a thread of your own, dedicated to your question.

Robames

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just got invited for an interview at Temple for the Basic Core program. Id love to know if anyone has any insight (from any of the main postbac programs) on how the selection process works once someone has been interviewed. Does most of the selection occur pre-interview or is there much more competition after this phase as well?
I have some friends who have been through the medical school selection process and they have said that getting the interview is generally the greatest hurdle...Do you think that applies for postbacs as well? I know hard numbers are tough to come by, but about what percentage of applicants do you think are invited for interviews?

Thanks.

Xueli

D-A-buh-teez
10+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Oh great, I never realized SDN had an interview feedback forum...now I'll be wasting even more of my day (and night) perusing this site when I should be out bettering myself...oh well:rolleyes:
As for a post bacc interview feedback forum...that would be a great idea. I know I would have if I was still preparing for my interviews. It would be so much better than just randomly searching the sdn archives for the info.

Last edited:

sharona1121

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i think it's a great idea. I'll be happy to provide feedback once I get back from my interviews over the next few weeks.

by the way, for those who've gone through interviews... how long are they? 30 minutes or longer? thanks to you guys, I know I should expect 2 ppl at my Scripps interview but how many should I expect for Goucher and BM interviews?

hope everyone's having a great new year so far. :)

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i think it's a great idea. I'll be happy to provide feedback once I get back from my interviews over the next few weeks.

by the way, for those who've gone through interviews... how long are they? 30 minutes or longer? thanks to you guys, I know I should expect 2 ppl at my Scripps interview but how many should I expect for Goucher and BM interviews?

hope everyone's having a great new year so far. :)

My Goucher interview went >1 hour. It was very conversational in tone and held w/ just one person, program director Betsy Meredith.

generation3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I interviewed at Bryn Mawr and Goucher. At Bryn Mawr, I met with Mary Beth Davis and she was a sweetheart. The interview ran for about 1/2 an hour and it was pretty laid back. Be prepared to talk about yourself. Many people feel uncomfortable discussing their accomplishments. GET COMFORTABLE WITH IT. Both programs will want to hear about your experiences in great depth and detail. At Goucher, I met with both Betsy Merideth and Sharon Stanton. I met with Betsy first (she's the program Director) and to be honest with you, she drilled me. She asked me questions about my work and internships that I had never thought about or even considered thinking about so I had to be quick on my toes at times. However, most of her questions will be directed toward your experiences. At one point after I had gotten really into one of my anecdotes about work, she said "Oh boy, I lost track of time, that was really interesting". Make sure you have your stories down and practice repeating them until they flow in a way that will make your interviewer forget where the time went. After meeting with Betsy, Sharon's interview was a piece of cake. It only ran for about 20 minutes and I was already warmed up from speaking with Betsy.

To prepare, I contacted the premed advisor at my college and asked if I could meet with her to do a mock interview. I'm fortunate in that I live close to where I attended undergrad and the premed program at my college is remarkably strong. I sent her my resume prior to our meeting so that she would be prepared to ask me questions that were tailored to my experience. As a bonus, she videotaped the interview and gave me the DVD to take home and review. Also, she critiqued me at the end and kindly suggested how to rephrase particular answers. Obviously, this resource isn't available to everyone but most people could modify this approach by taping a mock interview with a coworker or a friend. The point is, practice. You want to be comfortable when you walk into your interview. By the end of my interviews at both Bryn Mawr and Goucher, I felt relaxed and confident. I also felt pretty pumped because I had just spent 45+ minutes discussing my passions and interests and they could sense my excitement, which they definitely responded to positively. FYI - I was accepted at both schools and will be starting at Bryn Mawr this May. Hope this helped and good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.