Post Bac Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are returning (already have your Bachelor's) to finish the science requirements, do you have to take a full load? Or can you take 2 classes a semester?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still working just about full time, so I only take one or two courses per semester. It's my own personal informal post-bacc.

Thanks. Just wondering, because taking more than two science classes per semester, althought do-able, is not something many wish to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take whatever load you want. Just remember, adcoms look at your courseloads. They want to see that you can handle a lot on your plate because medical school will be like taking more than 2 science classes per semester. If you are only taking 2 classes at a time, you should probably find something else to occupy a lot of your time.

If you're going full-time, 3 science classes a semester is quite do-able. Right out of the gate you might want to keep it down to two to make the transition back into school (if it's been awhile) a little easier, but 3 isn't bad once you get into it, and it shows the ad-coms that you can handle an aggressive courseload as dankev suggested.

I'm doing 2 pre-reqs per semester, plus volunteer work and research. That should be good enough, no?

I'm currently applying for the entering class of 2005 med school cycle. I'm about to to finish undergrad in a week and I feel that I may need to bump up my numbers to improve my chances. I'm a CA resident and would prefer to stay in CA for med school (we all know how hard that can be).

I was thinking about doing a masters program (ie G'town SMP) but the idea of having an extra $50,000 in loans doesnt excite me.

Whats the general consesus on doing a "do-it-yourself" post-bacc. If I do it well will it help as much as a formal masters. And if so will it count towards my undergrad gpa eventhough I will technically have a bachelors already.

Are there any other CA "do-it-yourselfers" out there? Are you taking classes at a CSU or UC? Which is better? Will doing it this way really help for med school admissions in CA?

Malo Doc

one more question!

What about financial aid?

Does the government and fafsa still help out or do I have to take out private loans?

dankev said:
If you are only taking 2 classes at a time, you should probably find something else to occupy a lot of your time.

"something" being volunteering, working, etc.?

Courseloadwise do what you feel is comfortable but temper that with what adcoms tell you. Generally take 2 or 3 courses depending on work schedule. You can also buildup to it so say you start with one course then next semester make it 2 and if possible 3. Don't let people on this board who take 3 courses get you. One size doesn't fit all.

blankguy said:
Courseloadwise do what you feel is comfortable but temper that with what adcoms tell you. Generally take 2 or 3 courses depending on work schedule. You can also buildup to it so say you start with one course then next semester make it 2 and if possible 3. Don't let people on this board who take 3 courses get you. One size doesn't fit all.

thanks B.G.izzle :cool:, that helped lots.