post-bac & masters program confusion!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartsclovers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm a pre-dent with a 2.87 ugrad gpa. I've been looking into masters/post-bac programs to enroll into for the spring or fall 2008 (to show that I can handle an upper level science courseload).

The questions:

What is the difference between pre-health post-bac, post-bac, and masters programs? I've been noticing that the masters programs have a lower ugrad gpa requirement (sub 3.0 gpa) while the others have a 3.0 gpa requirement. Which program is favored by dental schools?

Do dental schools care if the post-bac/masters program includes classes in which other medical/dental students are competing with you?

Also which is more favored, a thesis or non-thesis program? A one or two year program?

And which is recommended by you guys (program that you can best succeed in)?

Does anyone know of a good program for pre-dents with a 2.87 gpa around the southern cali area?

Thanksss!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This question has been addressed MANY MANY TIMES. SEARCH the site and you will find many answers to every single one of your questions.

Hello there,

I'm a pre-dent with a 2.87 ugrad gpa. I've been looking into masters/post-bac programs to enroll into for the spring or fall 2008 (to show that I can handle an upper level science courseload).

The questions:

What is the difference between pre-health post-bac, post-bac, and masters programs? I've been noticing that the masters programs have a lower ugrad gpa requirement (sub 3.0 gpa) while the others have a 3.0 gpa requirement. Which program is favored by dental schools?

Do dental schools care if the post-bac/masters program includes classes in which other medical/dental students are competing with you?

Also which is more favored, a thesis or non-thesis program? A one or two year program?

Does anyone know of a good program for pre-dents with a 2.87 gpa around the southern cali area?

Thanksss!!!

The only program in so cal for someone with a 2.87 gpa is at Cal State Dominguez Hills (i think they require a 2.7)..they have a post-bac program for pre-med/pre-dent/pre-vet students..you don't get a certificate or anything, you just take the classes you need. I have a friend that took their pre-med classes there. Most other programs require at least a 3.0. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,

The questions:

Thanksss!!!

We were just debating the merits of a thesis vs. non-thesis masters. Search for the thread "Low gpa go do a masters"

I'm going to be starting a masters soon (hopefully).

search: "Don't think you'll make the cut"

It should help... I'm in a masters now... Do a one year masters in Biomedical Sciences... Its the way to go... Don't do it at Rosalind Franklin (my school) you won't get many grades in time for academic update...