Post Bac Math Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ali20685

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending U. of Penn. this fall. I do not really have any relevant Math Courses for the curriculum. My question was what math courses do you normally need for med. school? I want to be prepared by checking out my options prior to meeting with the advisor at Penn. Their website is focused more on the science courses.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending U. of Penn. this fall. I do not really have any relevant Math Courses for the curriculum. My question was what math courses do you normally need for med. school? I want to be prepared by checking out my options prior to meeting with the advisor at Penn. Their website is focused more on the science courses.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Some medical schools require a semester of calculus and/or statistics for admission, but I'd say more than half don't require any math at all.

As a mathematician, I'll tell you that the only stuff a med school will give a damn about are statistics courses, Calculus 1-3, and anything in bioinformatics or biostatistics. Anything else is just fluff to them.

I consulted for University of Colorado health sciences admission committee last year and was just amazed by the general apathy for extremely difficult classes on the math side. We had an engineer from school of mines apply with a 4.0 GPA in all his math courses including numerical analysis, partial differential equations, and topology. There was this "good for you" attitude amongst the members. However, anything with the words statistics seems to have a positive effect.

Last edited:
Thank You guys for your helpful responses!! Newman, the list you provided was an excellent resource!!