Jul 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I'm a 24 years old finishing my degree in Biology from a university in NY. My undergrad gpa is about 3.1 and premed reqs are:
General Biology 1: A
General Biology 2: b+
Gen chem 1 class B-
Gen chem 1 lab A
Gen chem 2 class B-
Gen chem 2 lab 2
Organic Chem 1: c+
Organic Chem 2: c
Physics 1: C
Physics 2: B
Biochemistry 1: B
Overall GPA is 3.1

Will a DIY POST-BAC at a local CC help get to an American MD school ? What If I repeat every class with a C, and also take Upper bio classes?

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
MD schools don't do grade replacement. Unless you're URM, veteran, or have a special story, it will be tough. NYS has a lot of schools though so if you 4.0 a post-bac, ace the MCAT, and do service stuff you could have a shot. You could also apply to a post-bac program in NYS with a linkage guarantee. Would you consider DO?

Reactions: NYian
OP
N
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
MD schools don't do grade replacement. Unless you're URM, veteran, or have a special story, it will be tough. NYS has a lot of schools though so if you 4.0 a post-bac, ace the MCAT, and do service stuff you could have a shot. You could also apply to a post-bac program in NYS with a linkage guarantee. Would you consider DO?
Thanks for your comment. Many people recommend a POST-bac but why it can be hard in my case? Is a post-bac for people who have a 3.4 GPA and +?

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for your comment. Many people recommend a POST-bac but why it can be hard in my case? Is a post-bac for people who have a 3.4 GPA and +?
Your GPA is low and you probably have a lot of credits. So even if you ace everything your GPA won't move up by much. The MCAT is also challenging. You would need to master the material in the courses you didn't do well in. It's possible if you work hard and want it- but it will be tough as all good things in life are.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Since you've already done all the prereqs, I would say spend a couple months doing your best to prep for the MCAT. If that score comes back low / very uncompetitive, then you can save the time and money that would have gone into a post-bacc.

OP
N
Jul 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Since you've already done all the prereqs, I would say spend a couple months doing your best to prep for the MCAT. If that score comes back low / very uncompetitive, then you can save the time and money that would have gone into a post-bacc.
I have seen here people with 2.75 gpa and do a post-bac, why in my case it is hard to do a post-bac and get into MD school?

Reactions: hopesofMedSchool

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have seen here people with 2.75 gpa and do a post-bac, why in my case it is hard to do a post-bac and get into MD school?
How many credits do you have? Postbacs are usually just undergrad courses you take to boost your GPA. If you have a ton of credits, it won't move much despite taking courses. Usually thats when SMPs come into play. But all of this can be pricey.

Reactions: Turkishking

darkeon

2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
You're free to do a post-bacc at a CC but being a student with a degree in the sciences with a low science gap, American MD may be not be possible so you should be open to DO.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You can do a post bacc. It's easy to do a post bacc, literally just enroll in a college. I'm saying take the MCAT first, so you don't spend a bunch of time and money on a post bacc just to find out afterwards that your MCAT is too low to be competitive anyways. Clear the MCAT hurdle first, THEN look into postbacc

Reactions: hopesofMedSchool