Post-Bac Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted92121

I am a sophomore in college and have a question. I transferred to my present college and therefore am behind in my prereqs. Should I finish my degree in Exercise Science and then goto a Post-Bac program, OR should I spend an extra 2 semesters at my present college, take all the prereqs, graduate late, and start applying to Med School?

For the record, I am really liking the Post-Bac option!

thanks,
dxu

Members don't see this ad.

dxu said:
I am a sophomore in college and have a question. I transferred to my present college and therefore am behind in my prereqs. Should I finish my degree in Exercise Science and then goto a Post-Bac program, OR should I spend an extra 2 semesters at my present college, take all the prereqs, graduate late, and start applying to Med School?

For the record, I am really liking the Post-Bac option!

thanks,
dxu

What would your major be if you spent the extra two semesters taking the prereqs. Would you qualify for bio or something else?

SaturdayDwarf said:
What would your major be if you spent the extra two semesters taking the prereqs. Would you qualify for bio or something else?

I would still be a Exercise Science Major. To complete just my prereqs, Bio I & 2, Chem I & II, Physics II (Already took Physics I-got a B), and take O-Cehm I & II..and take no "recommeded electives" would put me 2 to 3 semsters behind. I would be 24ish before I took the MCAT, as opposed to 22-23 for the Post-Bac Option.

I should add that while my professors know me, they do not know me well enough to write LOR and we don't have a Pre-Med Club. My school has an affiliation with LECOM but only for incoming freshman. My school is BIG on Physical Therapy, probably because the PT Program here is great.

If I do a Post-Bac, it is less time, more contact with Profs. that can advise and write LOR, etc.

Any thoughts?

dxu

I would say major in something you really enjoy and make sure you get a high GPA, lots of extracurricular activities, volunteer in a hospital or something like that, so that once it comes time to enroll in the post-bacc, you will be competitive for a good program and won't have to worry so much about all that while you are busting it in all those pre-req's.

BTW, I was actually in a MS Exercise Science program and was Asst. Perf. Enh. coach for an NBA team for 2 yrs while in college. Anyway, 24 is not old, in fact I would say this is better, as you will be much more mature and ready for med school. It is hard to believe that now, but trust me it's not like you will be an old man at 24, and don't let people rush you.