post-bac pre-dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterpak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey what's up guys. i'm new to the forum, my first post. just wondering if anyone here is post-bac, pre-dental. i graduated from ucla last winter with a ba in psychology, had a very weak gpa. i'm currently attending a junior college, taking science courses that the junior college suggested i take. anyways, just wondering if anyone here is a post-bac, pre-dental student or was one? if so, do you have any recommendations for me? i plan on attending one of the dental schools here in california, i've checked their requirements, but i'm still pretty clueless as to whether or not i absolutely HAVE to take all these courses. ok, that was a long post. help would be good, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hope this helps. i did a post-bac also out here in cal. try to stay away from junior colleges. stick to 4 year colleges. adcoms i heard look down on non-4 year colleges for post-bacs especially a person coming from UCLA. take as many sciences classes as you can until you feel that your gpa is high enough or that the classes have prepared you for the dat. as for applying to cal d-schools only.....apply everywhere. schools out here (CA) are super competitive. trust me, i've been trying to get in forever.

Take your time and learn the sciences, wherever that may be. JC don't offer the rigorousness of upper division sciences in 4 year schools. The rigorous courses may be necessary for you to further prepare for dental school and also to build your confidence in the subject matter. San Jose State has a post-bac.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok sounds good...thanks for your replies...they helped me out a lot...take care

yea, stay away from junior colleges. also, it will be really hard to stay in california, as the competition is fierce. even though your post-bac gpa is a 4.0, the california schools will look at the average of your undergrad and post-bac gpa. so it will be hard and i was in the exact same predicament as you. psychology major with a low undergrad gpa.

misterpak said:
ok sounds good...thanks for your replies...they helped me out a lot...take care

I just finished a post-bac program at U Miami and it really does help. I had a low undergrad GPA as well. There are a ton of post-bac programs. I know a ton of kids at Columbia, there's one at San Jose State if you wanted to stay in Cali. But don't stay at CC. I took some science classes at a CC and some dental schools don't accept ANY credits from there. Hope this helps! :oops: