Post-bac program at Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lpressley130

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Any comments out there about Penn State's post-bac program?

Members don't see this ad.

I spent 15 months at Penn State to do my prereqs. All the Chem, O Chem, Physics, Bio, and a few other classes. I took around forty credits in two semesters and a summer. They just put you in with the undergrads, so large classes, and no special attention. They do have a dedicated advisor/staff person that helps you with scheduling, I never had trouble getting a class that I needed/wanted. That person also helps to coordinate your letter and helps with making calls to schools/contacts. There is a pretty dedicated screening process for admission, they only take about 10 people a year, and when I left in '99, they had 100% cumulative placement upon completion of the program. From my year, four went to Jefferson, one to Columbia, one to PCOM, one to Hershey, and I'm not sure about the other guy. I would reccomend the program. I would describe it as under rated and largely unknown. It certainly got me where I was hoping to go. I had a reasonable undergrad GPA 3.4 in a non science major, at a state school, and a 3.8 in the postbac program. That and a 30 on the MCAT got me 8 interviews for med school out of 12 applications. Ended up at one of my top two choices. Good luck

John

Last edited:
John:
Thanks! I am a graduate of PSU. I would like to fit the classes around my work schedule. I will visit State College on July 29 for the Adult Student Fair at the Penn Stater Conference Center. I plan to re-enroll to see if I'm accepted - the only problem is that it's a 2H drive (one way). But, thanks for the feedback!

Lori Mitchell

I was wondering what gpa, gre, and work experience that people getting into the Drexel VMS program have. And if you don't get admitted the first time, what can you cahnge the following year? what would be the best way to raise your gpa?