Post- bac program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpingisgood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Looking for a little advice and anything will help. I came out of undergrad with a 3.3 bio major and a 3.0 science GPA from undergrad at my state school. Last semester fall 2012 I was enrolled in a post-bac program that was very rigorous and I ended up doing very poorly 3 C's and 1 B due to time restraints (ex. dad was deployed overseas and I was helping taking care of my mom and grandmother, working, and trying to do research.) I realized that I stretched myself too far. This semester I have none of those time restraints and understand that I must get all As. I am also going to take the DAT at the end of the summer. I am just wondering how much this will hurt me and my admissions chances to a dental school. I have a solid resume from undergrad with volunteering, leadership, school involvement, and shadowing. Just kind of in a life panic and thinking I may have ruined chances for a professional school. Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With your grades from last semester, I think your GPA as well as sGPA will be ~3.0 and ~2.85 accordingly. I'm not in the admission committee or something, but I don't think your application will be very competitive. I heard that some schools will automatically reject your application if you have sub 3.0 GPA. With a good DAT score (21+), you can give it a try. If your DAT is lower than that, then I recommend you to take another year of post bac to improve your GPA. Good luck.

You are probably going to have to ace another post bacc program. I understand your situation but post bacc grades need to be stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a formal post-bacc program? Or informal? I'm in an informal one where I'm just taking courses and these grades are being applied to my undergrad GPA. Just try to take as many courses as you can, while getting A's in all of them to bring up your GPA. I think it should be okay, as you apply early and broadly, and nail that DAT! Good luck :)

Let me know if you have any questions

Hello!

Looking for a little advice and anything will help. I came out of undergrad with a 3.3 bio major and a 3.0 science GPA from undergrad at my state school. Last semester fall 2012 I was enrolled in a post-bac program that was very rigorous and I ended up doing very poorly 3 C's and 1 B due to time restraints (ex. dad was deployed overseas and I was helping taking care of my mom and grandmother, working, and trying to do research.) I realized that I stretched myself too far. This semester I have none of those time restraints and understand that I must get all As. I am also going to take the DAT at the end of the summer. I am just wondering how much this will hurt me and my admissions chances to a dental school. I have a solid resume from undergrad with volunteering, leadership, school involvement, and shadowing. Just kind of in a life panic and thinking I may have ruined chances for a professional school. Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok so you started as 3.3 bio major with 3.0 science major. Now you screwed 1 term of post-bac, which was the beginning of your "renewal". Honestly, you should have been more responsible of the grade despite of what you had to go through. If it was hard to handle, imo, you should have dropped the classes early and take them in spring. Also it seems that you don't know what your main priority is: raising the GPA. Do you think not doing research would helped you get As?.
How much will postbac fall grade would hurt you? Not so sure. With your GPA you could have done only 1 to 1.5 year of postbac and prove adcoms that you are capable, but now that you screwed up the big first step, you need to take more terms to prove, which wasted your time and money and gave you a another bad permanent mark. 3Cs+1B Im guessing you earned 2.2 gpa for the term, which dropped all your gpa.
Hopefully you are just doing postbac consisting of undergrad courses and not doing any graduate courses.

I understand that you have a lot of things to handle but so are many other predentals and hopefully you can realize those circumstances doesn't make you an exception.
This is what I would do if I was in your situation.
-Assuming you have enough volunteer/shadowing hours, drop them or keep them at minimal hours.
-Get 4.0 this coming spring(by doing this, hopefully your gpa (BCP,science)would go up to 3.0. Take DAT when you are ready. Apply to 1 year master programs and start this coming Fall.Finish the program with 4.0.
-Please be more responsible and serious about your grades. They are worse than permanent tattoo.

Best luck

The advice I always have heard from admissions, both dental and from people applying to medical school, is not to retake classes but to get an additional graduate degree. An additional degree will go further than taking bio 101 twice. Best way to confirm is to speak with admissions folks for their advise and what they are looking for.